Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do my own trans fluid changes on my vehicles, namely my Ford Escape. My wife recently acquired a 2008 Taurus SEL AWD. Of course one of the first things I did was put the vehicle on jack stands and get under to see what it was all about. Oil and filter easy to change. I found the trans fluid plug to drain the pan of tranny fluid. I did some searching around and read on that just draining the pan I would have to add about 5.5 quarts of Mercon V fluid. I just want to get an idea if this is the correct amount of fluid to add. Yes I could go thru the trouble of measuring what I drained, but if others also do this as routine maintenance, they would know the correct amount fluid to add. I plan on doing this at every 2nd or 3rd oil change.

The vehicle we have only has 21,000 miles on the odometer. So the trans fluid still is pretty knew as far as milage.

The correct way to do this is to drain and fill. Drive car going thru all gears for a few miles. Drain again and fill. Repeat driving car again one more time, then drain and fill. You will have about 80 to 90% clean fluid through the transmission. Remember the 5.5 quarts you are draining is only what is in the pan and not what is still in the transmission. Still this is the most inexpensive way of keeping your transmission in top notch shape. Some may think it's overkill, but a broken transmission because your fluid is burned out is not cheap to fix.

Thanks for reading.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts