Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Can Mercon V be used in a 1999 Duratec Sable's transmission or would it be better to go with the standard Dexron/Mercon?

Never mind, found the answer on the Wiki.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
For future reference, the MERCON V Specification now supersedes the MERCON/DEXRON III specification.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Should state so on atf dipstick.
Ford released a TSB specifying MERCON V as the current fluid for MERCON /DEXRON III applications.

Not all dipsticks specify the new MERCON V specification, many say "USE MERCON / DEXRON III Fluid ONLY" and yet many do not say it at all.

Anyway, Ford says use MERCON V now for anything thatused MERCON / DEXRON III. Most major manufactures stopped making MERCON / DEXRON III.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
All 5 of my 98-99 tecs specify merconV on the dipsticks?
Yes, but not everyone has a 98-99 tec.

I was posting for future reference that ALL MERCON / DEXRON III applications are now superseded by MERCON V.

In addition to this, My 96 Bull with a 98 AX4N specified MERCON. Not MERCON V.

·
Registered
23,406 Posts
Excuse me. You were servicing a 99 tec. I believe ford first started requiring merconV during the 98 model year and several years later stated it should replace mercon in all applications. P.S.: I am quite aware not everyone has 98-99 tecs.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Excuse me. You were servicing a 99 tec. I believe ford first started requiring merconV during the 98 model year and several years later stated it should replace mercon in all applications. P.S.: I am quite aware not everyone has 98-99 tecs.
IIRC, The AX4N was the only transmission that started requiring MERCON V in 98. The AX4S still used MERCON.

I don't even understand why this is important because MERCON V is supposed to be used regardless. :dunno: So what the dipstick states doesn't even matter.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts