Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed the past couple of weeks that there seems to be a lag in the transmissions shifting between 2nd and 3rd. It only does this when accelerating quickly, if I accelerate slowly it doest seem to be much of a problem. Also if I'm crusing down the road at 55 and some reason have to slow down to below 40 and then get back up to 55, the car hesitates big time. I know these cars transmissions are not the greatest.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Get a new filter and fluid. When was the last time it was changed? Use the specified MerconV fluid. Sometimes new fluid works wonders. Its worth a try, worst case, you are out the fluid and filter.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Get a new filter and fluid. When was the last time it was changed? Use the specified MerconV fluid. Sometimes new fluid works wonders. Its worth a try, worst case, you are out the fluid and filter.
I really couldn't say when the last time it was changed, or if was ever changed. I've only had the car since July when it had 104,000 on it, it now has around 113-114,000 on it. I probly should go ahead and get the filter, I had planned on doing that come spring before I moved but guess now is a good a time as any.

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
If you have a '93 GL you should be using Mercon/Dexron 3, not V.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Even better, use a full synthetic atf. My old '93 Taurus started having the 2-3 lag around the 180k mark, but that transmission lasted well beyond 200k (the valve body and pump were rebuilt around 100k). Probably the internal clutch is getting worn, but you can nurse it along for a while like I did (say goodbye to the leadfoot). Change the fluid and filter, soon! You may want to consider getting rid of this car come summer, unless you want to put a rebuilt trans in it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Even better, use a full synthetic atf. My old '93 Taurus started having the 2-3 lag around the 180k mark, but that transmission lasted well beyond 200k (the valve body and pump were rebuilt around 100k). Probably the internal clutch is getting worn, but you can nurse it along for a while like I did (say goodbye to the leadfoot). Change the fluid and filter, soon! You may want to consider getting rid of this car come summer, unless you want to put a rebuilt trans in it.
Considering that I've only got 113k on my car and already got the 2-3 lag is probly not good. I'll changin the filter here in a few days when I get paid. This time of year really sucks when ya gotta work on your car if ya don't have garage. Hopefully with having done this before on another car, it will go alot faster and smoother. I don't have much of a lead foot unless I'm in a hurry or passin some slow ass on the road. As much as I like this car, I really don't think putting a rebuilt trans would be worth it. Besides I think I'd be happier with a pick up. But with moving back to Cali around March or April. I think that I'll have to make the car work till after the move cause I'll need as much money as I can save for the move and buying a new-used truck won't really help.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
givin the problem my car has even after changing the trans filter would trust it to be reliable on a 2200 mile trip? or am i better off buyin something else?

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
givin the problem my car has even after changing the trans filter would trust it to be reliable on a 2200 mile trip? or am i better off buyin something else?
There's no telling, it's an older car. I drove mine another 30k like that, until I sold it. I still used it on long trips, but I had AAA and rental coverage. The next owner make it 20k before they put a used transmission in it, around 260k (amazing for a axod-e trans). Change the fluid and filter for now. I used to let up on the gas a little right before the 2-3 shift, it wasn't noticeable when I did that. The '93 I had was driven mostly hwy miles, since I bought it with 42k way back in '96, soon after I moved to Seattle, I was only 17.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Today it seemed to be ok, of course with the rain I was taking it a bit easy. Hopefully my next day off will be a nice day and some what warm out side, but I seriously doubt I'll get the second part. Times like this when I wish I had a garage to work in lol. I did still notice a lag between 2-3 but not as bad as I did yesterday. Last time I had a car that acted like this, I changed the filter and it seemed to work better for a while but the problem came back again in just a couple of weeks. I hope I don't have the same luck here.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
One of the first things I do when I get a new to me car is I assume the previous owner hasn't changed the fluids and I replace all fluids of any type.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
One of the first things I do when I get a new to me car is I assume the previous owner hasn't changed the fluids and I replace all fluids of any type.
Ya know thats actually a good rule to go by. I usually do that when I buy a car, at least do an oil change since thats the cheapest and usually the one of the more important to do. I've only changed a trans filter in one other car, the others I've had only stayed with me a few months or so. Last time I did this was on a rwd car, not sure how differant it will be with a fwd car. Of course now I've gotta wait about doin this, we just got bout 1/2 inch of snow and its still coming down. A shop around here would charge me like $99 or some crazy price like that to do it. Oh well, maybe next year lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts