Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1997 taurus 3000cc with the AX trans.

I had the retainer clip replaced 10 weeks ago. The pressure control solenoid (ax4n) and shift solenoid was also replaced and topped up with mercon V.

Just recently, it appears that the car needs warming up for 5 mins so that the trans runs properly.

It's not a problem that occurs all the time. It can be 2 weeks without a problem - then 2 days in a row it has symptoms.

The fluid level is fine.

****** It happens only in the morning. The trans jumps in and out of first gear. If this occurs, it will also jump out of 2nd or 3rd. Does this for about a minute then she's fine.

Is there a simple easy to get solenoid that could be doing this? Warming her up does the trick - but ive never had a car that you have to go to THAT extreme before.

This is New Zealand, nice and warm. Not hot and not cold.

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
It could be beacuse your car requires D/M ATF Fluid (Dexron III / Mercon) and not Mercon V

at least thats what the Wiki says for 96/97, 98/99 get Mercon V

·
Super Moderator
8,229 Posts
Ford claims the Merc V is backwards compatable for all auto trannies.

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
[/b]
Mercon V supercedes anything that requires Mercon.

If you have a REALLY old car, one that requires Type F, then you do not want to put Mercon in the tranny at all. So it isn't correct to say "all auto trannies."

My question is, if the transmission was already apart, why wasn't it fully rebuilt? Once a transmission is apart, it would be more cost effective at that point to do a full rebuild and not just change a few faulty parts.

·
Super Moderator
8,229 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
If you have a REALLY old car, one that requires Type F, then you do not want to put Mercon in the tranny at all. So it isn't correct to say "all auto trannies."

[/b][/quote]

You are, of course, correct. I should have been more specific as far as saying any tranny that calls for Dextron III / Mercon. I think the last car I had that used type F was the 71 Tbird 429ci / C6 I had back in the mid 70s :) What a pig it was..... 8 mpg city, 12 mpg highway at best, but gas was 29 to 39 cents a gallon back then!

·
Super Moderator
8,229 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
What do you mean by that? Backwards? Is mercon V crap?
[/b][/quote]

Any tranny that was rated to use DexIII / Mercon can run Mercon V. Merc V is better than the older stuff, as it is either partly or fully synthetic (cant remember if partly or fully synthetic as it is 7:22 AM and I have already been at work for 45 mins....yawn)

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
My question is, if the transmission was already apart, why wasn't it fully rebuilt? Once a transmission is apart, it would be more cost effective at that point to do a full rebuild and not just change a few faulty parts.
[/b]
The transmission wouldn't have been apart to do that repair - they only would have needed to remove the valve body, which can be done with the tranny in the car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts