Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I, first, tried the search engine which was a waste of time when "cooler" turned up 500 hits for the word and most not the cooler I wanted.

So, I am thinking of adding a cooler to my wife's 1998 Sable. I have been under the car when I did a complete flush/change months ago. My question is what size physically have people used and where was the cooler placed?

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
A couple of observations with egiroux configuration. I prefer not to use the zip ties for mount hardware. If a zip ties fails how do you know and when? Tube cooler while its better than nothing I would prefer the B&M Supercooler (summitracing.com). And actually I think the only cooler better than the Supercooler is the 2nd gen SHO cooler.

For mounting the cooler I choose plumber's tape. It can be found at most hardware stores. It's stiff, rigid, made of metal but has holes throughout so you can bend and twist it for mounting. The holes are perfect for running bolts through and if necessary backup the bolts with a thread locker.

When mounting the Supercooler I choose to mount it vertically (fins) with the inlet and outlet port pointing towards the driver's side.

If your car does not have a tube cooler go the bone yard and see if you can find one.

Here's my cooler configuration, 1997 Sable:
radiator cooler + tube cooler + B&M Supercooler

Monsoon

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
A couple of observations with egiroux configuration. I prefer not to use the zip ties for mount hardware. If a zip ties fails how do you know and when? Tube cooler while its better than nothing I would prefer the B&M Supercooler (summitracing.com). And actually I think the only cooler better than the Supercooler is the 2nd gen SHO cooler.

For mounting the cooler I choose plumber's tape. It can be found at most hardware stores. It's stiff, rigid, made of metal but has holes throughout so you can bend and twist it for mounting. The holes are perfect for running bolts through and if necessary backup the bolts with a thread locker.

When mounting the Supercooler I choose to mount it vertically (fins) with the inlet and outlet port pointing towards the driver's side.

If your car does not have a tube cooler go the bone yard and see if you can find one.

Here's my cooler configuration, 1997 Sable:
radiator cooler + tube cooler + B&M Supercooler

Monsoon
I agree(mostly). Here's the deal. I was interested in getting the fan to pull maximum air through it so it would perform to it's specification(16000 GVW). In order to do that I needed it up against the AC Condenser in the middle. I actually used 4 black wire ties with a plastic backer strip to secure it. I did not use the supplied fasteners as they were too fat. I would prefer a metal bracket, but found it impractical for my goal. My experience has been that the black ties(name brand) are very reliable. The white ones not so much. My system kept the fluid below 180 Deg F on a 100 Deg day with hard driving. Normally it stays below 170. So, to sum this up, it has a compromise, but gets the job done and I expect it to reliably last the life of the car. It also looks like a nice, neat installation.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.