Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am wondering what kind of trans. addidives would you guys recommend for a 97 Taurus with an AX4N trans. and 101.200miles in it. I am experiencing a slight jerk from 2nd to 3rd, and have a minor torque shutter. What could I do to prevent further damage. I had trans. fluid changed and flushed at 95,000.

Thanks
Adam

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
bump.

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
Lucas Trans-slip. After flushing your tranny. Add 1 bottle if it's minor or 2 bottles if it's severe to your fluid in place of 2 quarts.

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
Originally posted by 97vulcan@Jun 9 2004, 02:19 PM
I had trans. fluid changed and flushed at 95,000.

Thanks
Adam
I just realized that you already had a fluid change done. If I were you, I'd take it in to have the torque convertor replaced. It's mostly likely burnt. They are faulty and it needs to be replaced.

It sounds like the fluid change was no help, because is sounds like they added the wrong fluid. Most likely they put ATF in your tranny instead of Mercon V. If that is the case, you need to buy some Duralube Mercon V additive. This is a synthetic additive that will give it more protection and aid against extreme heat. You can buy this at Napa or buy it online.

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey mykej27, thanks for the reply. This additive, you talk about, do I just add this to the existing fluid, or do I need to remove some before I add it?

Thanks again.

Adam

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
You don't have to remove any fluid. The Duralube is in a small bottle. It's about $9.

If you want to add the Lucas Trans-slip, then yes, you'll need to remove some fluid. If it's that bad, I'd add all 3. It's not a remedy. It's a temporary fix until you can get the torque converter replaced.

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
Since this is a Ford recall, you can make an appointment to replace the torque converter.

Do a search on the topic of torque converter in this forum. I listed the recall and link. Call your local dealer and ask them of the recall. I'm sure they will ask you what the recall number is.

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, thanks again. What is the average price on a torque converter replacement? and would the converter be causing the jerk from 2nd to 3rd as well? Also, if I do add the duralube, should I be able to feel some kind of improvement?

Thanks

Adam

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just saw ur other post. A 1997 AX4N trans. was under recall? Score!!! If I can get them to replace it. I never got any letter, but I bought the car in Aug of 03.

Thanks
Adam

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey mykej27, I couldnt find ur post on the recall, could you post a shortcut in this post or give me the recall number. When I called the Ford Dealership, they said they have never heard of such a recall.

Thanks
Adam

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
Here it is:

Recall Alert: FORD TAURUS, MERCURY SABLE
Owner Notification Date: Dec 21, 1998
Number of Units Potentially Affected: 1800
Component Description: POWER TRAIN:TRANSMISSION:AUTOMATIC:COOLING UNIT AND LINES
NHTSA Campaign Number: 98V288000

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Description of Recall Campaign: Vehicle Description: Passenger vehicles equpped with the "California" emissions package, marketed in California and certain Northeastern states. An incorrect transmission oil cooler line was installed. The line contacts the antilock braking system module support bracket and over time, can wear and develop a leak.
Transmission fluid leakage onto the exhaust manifold or catalytic converter can result in a fire.

Dealers will install the appropriate transmission oil cooler line.

Owner notification is expected to begin December 21, 1998. Owners who take their vehicles to an authorized dealer on an agreed upon service date and do not receive the free remedy within a reasonable time should contact Ford at 18003923673. Also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's Auto Safety Hotline at 1888DASH2DOT (1-888-327-4236).

National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
You know you are right. This is for the cooling system. There is a recall on the torque convertors was on a different site. If you do a search on Yahoo google, it will pop up

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi ,im new here and need some help. My mom has a 1996 ford taurus 3.L vulcan v6 and i want to know if it is allright to add lubegard to her transmission.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Originally posted by mykej27@Jun 10 2004, 04:45 PM
It sounds like the fluid change was no help, because is sounds like they added the wrong fluid. Most likely they put ATF in your tranny instead of Mercon V. If that is the case, you need to buy some Duralube Mercon V additive. This is a synthetic additive that will give it more protection and aid against extreme heat. You can buy this at Napa or buy it online.
I have a 97 taurus and I just changed the fluid myself. I just used some plain old Mobil Mercron ATF that wasn't Mercron V. I didn't know my transmission needed Mercron V. Is regular Mercron the wrong fluid? I have the shop manual and just says Mercron, not Mercron V. Are you talking about newer transmission?

·
Premium Member
14,127 Posts
As far as I know there is not TC recall. If there was i'd be first in line.

If your car calls for mercon then you are OK. If it calls for Mercon V then this is what you need or at least a fluid rated as such. There are many fluids now rated mercon/MerconV form different sources.

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
In the owners manual it says Mercon, but I bought some stuff called Lube Guard, and it is an additive. It says add a oz. for every quart of trans. fluid u replace. Should I say the he** with it and add the full 12oz.? I added some, I don't know how much, and it seems like the shutter might be getting better. I don't know though.

Thanks
Adam

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
The only transmission recalls for the Taurus was for the parking mechanism and the cooling thing mentioned above, never a recall for the torque converter. There was a TSB out regarding the use of Mercon/Mercon V. I think only 98+ Taurus requires Mercon V. All others are okay to use regular Mercon.

I'd be wary adding some foreign fluids to an already sensitive transmission. These additives does some weird stuff, diluting or thickening the ATF, changing internal pressure.. causing harsh shifts, too soft a shift, slow shifts, overall more problems than you already started with. Just stick to the normal maintenance schedule. Add a tranny cooler, and magnefine filter. 100k isn't an unusual retirement age for Taurus transmissions.

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok. Does anyone know of a good trans. shop in Southeastern WI? I wanna get a trans. Cooler bad!!!!!!!

Thanks
Adam

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Originally posted by 97vulcan@Jun 11 2004, 10:58 PM
Ok. Does anyone know of a good trans. shop in Southeastern WI? I wanna get a trans. Cooler bad!!!!!!!

Thanks
Adam
Best thing to do is buy and install it yourself. Its mad easy.

www.bulkpart.com for the cooler itself.

Part # 1403 (If I recall)

Its like 33 bucks shipped. Instructions included.

-Damon

1 - 20 of 20 Posts