Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Afternoon folks,

My cousin has a 2000 Taurus with the 24valve 3.0 motor in it. I'm pretty sure that's the Duratec motor.

Long story short -- he ran for an unknown amount of time 4 quarts low on the trans fluid. The transaxle warning light clicked on, we took care of the low fluid problem. But the 1-2 shift still sucks, and shifts wicked hard. Transmission is no longer slipping. WOT barks the tires after it revs to the moon. My first impression is a VSS/Trans output shaft sensor and a complete fluid change with filter.

Your thoughts? Right track? Is the transmission toast because it ran 4 quarts low for who knows how long?

Thanks!

183K on the clock, original motor and trans.

·
Registered
22,438 Posts
Dunno, worth a try. Be sure to use mercon v atf. Fyi, Ford changed the name of vss (vehicle speed sensor) to oss (output shaft speed sensor) for the 2000 model year. Still the tranny output speed sensor. Tss (turbine shaft speed sensor) is the tranny input speed sensor.

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
1. Stop barking the tires.
2. Try some SeaFoam Transtune for about 200 miles or so.
3. drop the pan and change the filter and whatever fluid drains via pan drop (use mercon V).
4. let us know how that goes.

·
Registered
402 Posts
If none of that works, and everyone else's ideas that don't include my own fail, try using some Lucas oil transmission fix.

It's more of a patch for a failing transmission.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1. Stop barking the tires.
2. Try some SeaFoam Transtune for about 200 miles or so.
3. drop the pan and change the filter and whatever fluid drains via pan drop (use mercon V).
4. let us know how that goes.
The tires are not barked purposely. It barks when you try to get on the freeway. Hit the gas to get up to speed, torque convertor unlocks, RPMs hit 6000 and the trans reengages 2nd/3rd and spins them. Didn't do it before.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Afternoon folks,

My cousin has a 2000 Taurus with the 24valve 3.0 motor in it. I'm pretty sure that's the Duratec motor.

Long story short -- he ran for an unknown amount of time 4 quarts low on the trans fluid. The transaxle warning light clicked on, we took care of the low fluid problem. But the 1-2 shift still sucks, and shifts wicked hard. Transmission is no longer slipping. WOT barks the tires after it revs to the moon. My first impression is a VSS/Trans output shaft sensor and a complete fluid change with filter.

Your thoughts? Right track? Is the transmission toast because it ran 4 quarts low for who knows how long?

Thanks!

183K on the clock, original motor and trans.
4 quarts low is more than half of the fluid, you trashed it.

·
I Drive A Fuze
3,053 Posts
4 quarts low is more than half of the fluid, you trashed it.
Not true. The transmission holds 14-15 quarts, not less than 8...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
7 Participants
Ben
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing