Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, not even a year into having my Taurus I am having trans problems. I did a search and came up with some good info but I still have a few questions.

Symptoms:
My trans will not shift from 2 to 3 all the time, some days it will some it wont. When it won't shift I cant go over 35.
Slips and stutters if I floor it from a stop.
My speedo started bouncing a week ago @ all speeds.

My question is will a VSS cause these problems or is the trans toast? The problems started 7 days after I changed my IAC, plugs, wires, PCV valve and hoses, etc. to get rid of a low idle. It all worked but now I have this problem.

If the trans is shot I need anybody in the Detroit area who has had trans work done b4 to recommend someone if possible. I just moved to Pontiac and don't know where to start so I don't get ripped off.

Forgot to mention 94 3.8l with AXOD-E.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hogging the top line....funny. :huh:

Anywho, I replaced the VSS yesterday night and it helped me get over 35 but still no other gears but 1 and 2 so I know its gone.

So anyone from the metro detroit area that can recommend a good shop would be appreciated, I don't have time to get into the trans work myself with the job that I have. I might be willing to pay a finders fee for the right place, because I know these transmissions need special attention and I only want to do this once for the next couple of years.

·
Registered
397 Posts
take it to a shp and have the codes read. ($30 to $40 for this)

One of those pieces of crap they use at AUTOZONE will not pull tranny codes, take it to a shop and let the pros pull them RIGHT! (with a "snap-on" scanner)

I don't know much about the AXODE, but if it is anything like the AX4N, it has shift solenoids that totally control the shifts.

If it IS the shift solenoids messing up, you MAY be able to tackle that yourself.

the VSS, that you can definately handle, IF that is the problem. I THINK what may be going on there is the driven gear for the VSS may be chewed up. if it is, that can cause a LOT of shift problems.

Don't right away assume the whole thing needs rebuilt, it would be nice to do some work yourself. :D Shift solenoids run about $25 each, and there are 3 of them on the valve body, you will see them as soon as you pull the side cover, but getting the side cover off with tranny in car is a b****!
hey keep us posted!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok. Calmed down and looked at the positive side and got the codes scanned at a local trans shop like impatient95 suggested. They said that "I would need a total rebuild, third gear is gone." and quoted me 1875.00 for the job. Disappointed I took his estimate and went home......

Well guess what, when driving home the car shifts to all gears and does not slip. :chili: I even drove on the freeway @ 70 mph with no problems!
So obviously this guy did not pull anything and did not know what he was talking about, just lookin to rip me off. I am going to park it for the week and take it to another shop this weekend.

Just so I am prepared next weekend, any guesses on what this could be? Would shift solenoids like impatient95 said cause this problem??

1 - 6 of 6 Posts