Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like i said the transmission in my wonderful 1992 ford taurus has been acting up quite a bit lately. This description is with overdrive on. When pulling out from a red light my car will do one of two things, i will get in the throttle and the trans will either shift far to early, leaving my engine hit a terribly low rpm or it will scream first gear forcing me to get out of the throttle and having it fall into second with a terribly gnarly sound. after 2nd gear the problem seems to fade, on occasion it will appear in the shift from second to third but its uncommon. also in the time between 1st and 2nd the wheels seem very chatty and my steering wheel feels very light. when i shift out of overdrive the same things still happen, but they are far less pronounced and only happen in the first to second shift.

is this dreaded ford taurus transmission failure, or is it something else happening?

Thanks for any help

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Today on the way into work, my car was once again acting up. Though it was different today. It would run fine shift into 2nd fairly decent, but if i had to lift for any reason it would drop directly down to 1st gear with a fairly decent thud.

Is it just the transmissions "time" or is there a way i can bring it back?

Some people told me to use lucas transmission fix others told me it will ruin it? what do you think of the stuff?

also any ideas on what it will cost to rebuild one that i have just sitting around in another taurus without and engine?

thanks

·
Registered
27 Posts
I was @ AAMCO 2 weeks ago, they gave price of $1800 (plus possible additional charge).

ps. It's been 2 weeks and 500 miles since then and i didn't experienced any of "slippings" or 6000RPM's that they claimed. I have Camshaft Synchro problem (see "Cold Start Issue" post), but the tranny seems to be OK. I compared their price online- it's seems about right, but STAY AWAY FROM AAMCO at any cost.

pps. \m/

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i was actually going to rebuild it on my own, my father has a shop. i just wondered if anyone knows what parts i may need and what it will run me?

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
did the transmission flush/ lucas and it worked pretty damn good, my taurus feels young again!

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
QUOTE (goodguitar5150 @ Jun 19 2009, 07:10 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=733626
did the transmission flush/ lucas and it worked pretty damn good, my taurus feels young again![/b]
Let me know how its going in a few thousand miles, I was thinking about throwing some Lucas in with my next flush, but other people told me it would hurt more then it would help. So im intrested in hearing the results.

·
Registered
12 Posts
QUOTE (dasixx @ Jun 18 2009, 11:12 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=733262
I was @ AAMCO 2 weeks ago, they gave price of $1800 (plus possible additional charge).

ps. It's been 2 weeks and 500 miles since then and i didn't experienced any of "slippings" or 6000RPM's that they claimed. I have Camshaft Synchro problem (see "Cold Start Issue" post), but the tranny seems to be OK. I compared their price online- it's seems about right, but STAY AWAY FROM AAMCO at any cost.

pps. \m/[/b]
I don't know where you're at, but up here in Wyoming the Aamco in Cheyenne is NOT good. I even gave them the benefit of the doubt after hearing tons of negative things....I called them about the tranny for the Sable I'm rebuilding and the guy told me that they couldn't give me an estimate on a rebuild until they had the tranny there and completely torn apart on the bench because 'then they could see what's wrong.' Riiiiiiight. I KNOW what's wrong. I'm gonna drag a tranny over there, let you rip it all apart, and then when you high-ball me I'm going to trust you to put it back together to take it some place worth its salt? Uh, no.

·
Registered
27 Posts
That's exactly what they told me too: we have to open it in order to find out. The cost of "opening"- 685$ .
I refused to do any work on the tranny, since it's going to cost more than the car itself.
I'm from NJ and AAMCO here is also bad place to go.

·
Registered
12 Posts
QUOTE (dasixx @ Jun 20 2009, 08:20 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=733724
That's exactly what they told me too: we have to open it in order to find out. The cost of "opening"- 685$ .
I refused to do any work on the tranny, since it's going to cost more than the car itself.
I'm from NJ and AAMCO here is also bad place to go.[/b]
Yeah. Considering every other transmission shop in the area can tell me down to the dollar exactly how much a rebuild costs, they're not doing themselves any favors.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts