Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELP!!! I was pulling out of the Sonic today, across three lanes, accelerating appropriately, RPM ran to 3000, didn't shift out , and the speedometer didn't work, just set dead. Stopped at a red light (scared to death, turning on hazards) wondering if my 1999 Taurus with 54,553 miles would get me home or not. Pulled over, checked tranny fluid (level just right, color red). Set there maybe 5 minutes and drove home. Tranny didn't do it again on the way home, or on test drive with neighbor's husband. But I'm scared to drive my car, and even more scared of expensive repairs$!$!$! Any ideas, help, advice, warning, or information will be GREATLY APPRECIATED. Never had a problem with this car before (had it three years now). "And I ain't got no money" HELP HELP HELP!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: (Saturday May 29 @ 3:18 PM

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
I'd say that you're safe and you don't have to worry about the tranny. Since the spedometer wasn't working I'd say it's the speed sensor.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay. . . Next stupid question. This being a holiday weekend and all, you know, gotta go here, go there. Can I drive the car? Even to get to the parts store (assuming , of course, this is something my husband can fix)?

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
I'd say it's safe to drive. If the speed sensor is not working when you drive it then the computer will not know how fast the car's going and the shift points will be goofy, but I don't see how any damage could be done to the trans, unless the shifts are very slow with lots of slippage, then excess wear will be put on the clutches.

I believe the name of the part is a VSS, or Vehicle Speed Sensor, you can do a search on it, It can be a DIY repair, but I think people have said it's in a tight spot.

·
Registered
389 Posts
My money's on the VSS. Ours has gone out twice. Our speedo still works, as it's mechanical, but the shift points freak out.
It's only a DIY job if you're willing to pull the exhaust to get to it.

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
It's located at the lower rear of the engine compartment, on top of the transmission, a little towards the passenger side. It's behind the exhaust manifold. If it's anything like the VSS on the 3.8L Gen 2's, it's a real PITA to get at and remove. :unsure:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Sounds like the little gear on it may have stripped...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Gears looked fine. Replaced VSS. Ran good on test drive. . . Today. I'll be back in a few days if that didn't fix it. Thanks Guys. You're all Fabio's to me. Victoria

1 - 13 of 13 Posts