Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I have a 96 3.0 Vulcan flex fuel with 183k miles with an axode trans. I have already brought it to the dealer but would like a second opinion. There is along list of symptoms so please bear with me. When I come to a stop, often it will slip out of gear. Sometimes it will reengage on its own within a few seconds and lurch forward. Others I have to get rpms to 2k and will slam into gear. When I am at a steady speed, it jerks like its misfiring. After driving for 20 or so miles, shifting gets very harsh, and will not go into first unless I shift into first. If I shift into drive from 1st, at any rpm, it will shift on the spot, not when its supposed to. The dealer said the torque converter is not locking. Possibly a blown seal, or cracked piston in the converter? Is what they said. Fluid is full, pink, not burnt, no flakes, filter replaced recently. So my question is, is it a safer bet to replace tranny with a used one? Or replace just the torque converter?

·
Registered
54 Posts
the first thing to do is service the transmission, and have it flushed. often times that will cure the problem as it cleans out the garbage that is clogging up the valve body. after that have the VSS tested for proper operation.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tested to VSS with my multimeter and seems to be working just fine. As for the flush, could i just run some seafoam through for a day or two and replace the fluid? Cause i have heard of a few horror stories about flushes. And as a hypothetical, if this does not work, do you think it would be more a converter or internal tranny issue?

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Also, most dealers are not qualified to service transmissions properly, yes they can do fluid changes, and diagnostics, but they do not repair them properly if there is a problem. A good independently owned shop that uses upgrade aftermarket parts is a better option.

I would start with new fluid and a filter, see if that doesn't clear everything up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts