Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2001 Vulcan powered Taurus with 130k on it. I don't know, and neglected to ask, if the transmission had normal maitainence done to it. Now with 140k on it and the car running fine I've been told by a transmission guy I should just leave it alone. "You open it up you could cause problems." I just wanted to flush the old and put new fluid in, but he advised against it. What do you folks think? This mechanic told me this over the phone without looking at the car. I would like to get this done.. but is there a REAL risk involved?

·
Premium Member
2,571 Posts
What about pumping out using the cooler lines as read in the Topic Finder?

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
QUOTE (2000Sable @ Jul 4 2009, 06:21 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=736884
Flushing is generally bad. Some typesof "flushes" are not so bad.

The club for the most part recommends a pan drop and filter change only.[/b]
We don't recommend a pan drop and filter change only. We recommend doing a proper flush outlined in the Topic Finder (ie- not hooking it up to a machine for a power flush, but flushing it out using the trans pump).

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
QUOTE (Qwertz9586 @ Jul 5 2009, 09:46 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=737260

We don't recommend a pan drop and filter change only. We recommend doing a proper flush outlined in the Topic Finder (ie- not hooking it up to a machine for a power flush, but flushing it out using the trans pump).
[/b][/quote]

:werd:

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
QUOTE (Qwertz9586 @ Jul 5 2009, 09:46 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=737260

[/b][/quote]

In this case? I don't know if any "flush" is a very good idea after 140k of neglect. Do you really think he should flush it at this point? :dono:

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
If the trans works fine and the fluid looks and smells OK I would leave it alone.

My old 91 L wagon had 104,000 miles on it, The trans worked fine but the pan gasket leaked. I dropped the pan and replaced the filter, gasket and added new fluid. After that it started slipping badly.

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
I just replaced the fluid in my car, which has 235k miles on the original trans and still going...

If you replace the fluid, exchanging whats in it using the pump, that is the least likely way to cause any damage.

I look at it this way, if it was about to fail, this will kill it sooner (though probably not by much).

Its not going to kill it on its own, its all about how much friction material is left. Simply put the older debris from the friction material acts as a sort of friction material on its own, so changing it can cause it to not work if its already broken.

·
Premium Member
2,571 Posts
Sounds good to me. I just placed an order for 14 qts @ Car Quest. $3.39 /Qt for Store brand sounds good to me. That plus 1 qt of valvoline. Will give me a complete flush.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
The filter and magnet would catch all the stuff that's floating around in the fluid. If you use the trans pump to pump out the fluid, it's not forcing fluid through dislodging stuff. You'd most likely have less pressure in the system doing this than if you were driving through town. And new fluid has additives and that's what cars crave.

·
Premium Member
2,571 Posts
OK I am about to start this, Does ANYone have a pic of which hose to disconnect
and which side to plug up? To use the Trans pump to pump out the fluid?

I'm sure i will be able to figure it out. But I need to see it be fore i workon it. You know?

·
Premium Member
2,571 Posts
Got the Rock Guard Off. It says to disconnect the Driver side of Cooler.
I have AX4S- with Vulcan. So instead of a cooler i have a long Pipe that traverse the front end?
Update: NO THIS IS Power Steering "Cooler" Noo touchy!!!!!!!!11one

Here are pics.
I think I am getting it as I type .
<strike>So as the pic describes, I don't need to plug either?</strike>

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,571 Posts
Ok Didn't get to the "use the tranny pump to pump it out" part yet. Got as far a removing the Trans cooler lines.

Now i have read that wiki entry alot of times today.
It calls for 3/8" I.D. Tube in the main section. Then the Supplement for the Vulcan AXOD. It calls for a 5/16" I.D. tube.

Here in the main section.
3. Next disconnect the line on the drivers side of the aux ATX cooler. Put the tranny side line in a five gallon bucket. Attach a piece of 3/8" hose to the cooler where you just disconnected the line and place it on the bucket.[/b]
Does the AUX ATX cooler have a smaller pipe on the Duatecs. Is this for older Tranny's with smaller diameter cooler lines?
A 3/8" I.D. Tube will not Fit on that pipe I Indicated a few posts a go.

Now Further down the page in the Supplement for GEN IV AXOD (Vulcan) That's me
Step 3: The easiest place to connect a discharge hose to drain the torque converter is the end of the lower cooling hose to the transmission.

Remove the lower shield from beneath the bumper. Remove the clips that hold the two metal lines together. Remove the retaining clip on the lower hose connector at the transmission and loosen the nut. Squeeze the plastic tabs that extend from the connection and pull the metal hose end off. There should be little to no leakage of fluid.

Plug the opening on the transmission with a rubber plug and use a 3 foot length piece of 5/16" inside diameter clear vinyl hose to connect to the cooling line. Place the hose in the large bucket that you will be collecting the old fluid.[/b]
No I have not begun pumping out the fluid yet. I have how ever remove 1/2 a quart from the "Aux cooler" Read Long Pipe. I figured that someone had to complain about the recommended purchase of 3/8" I.D. Tube being way wrong, by now. So I put that back together. and Re-Re-Re-Read the directions.

On the bell hosing i saw 2 Fluid lines. I proceeded to remove the "retaining clip" on the Lower one. Loosen the Bolt, squeeze the plastic retainers. This freed the line. And yes very little fluid came out.

So I took the smaller tube 5/16"I.D.. Shoved it into the Tranny with bolt and nylon coupling. The lager tube 3/8" I.D. put on the Line that was disconnected from the trans.
So the Directions indicate to plug the TRANNY with a rubber plug. I have none. So I will plug the Tube i shoved into the tranny Coupler.

The object is to take the fluid from this Line. Not Tranny.

It looks like this.
I removed the bolt entirely to see how far the tube can be pushed into that "bolt"

Also. so make "aiming" easier I taped the hoses together. As well I used wooded dowels to plug the hoses over night. It started to rain AGAIN. So I got as far as prepping.
[attachment=30014:Bell_hose.jpg][attachment=30017:diagram.GIF]
[attachment=30016:Both_hoses.jpg]
[attachment=30015:Trans_Coupler.jpg]

Any one care to comment on this. We seem to have conflicting thought, Some say to use the "Trans Cooler" Front and Center/Lower as I described above. Other say to take it from this line that should enter the bell housing. I feel that we should have 2 separate How-To Wiki;s explain it for us 1st timer. I know that some will comment back that it doesn't matter. Do it either way. But still, say that in the wiki. I read lots of the these posts. I am glad it rained most of the day today. Because I am really confused.
Am I doing this right? I can do it. just inform me how.

After getting the prep work done today, I feel that the wiki is a little in inadequate. I am sorry to hurt the feelings of the one that wrote it. Alittke Constructive criticizm never hurt anyone. I think that it tries to cover to many variances.
Or I am getting upset over nothing. And it doesn't really matter how the fluid comes out. But to me it does. Because I haven't been instructed other wise.
I want to help this run as long as possible.

end RANT

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,571 Posts
I am sorry to hijack you thread nightingale. But this should answer any future questions you have.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts