Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On this '06 T I have, was going home yesterday, on cruise control ~75....the tach starts reving up & the car starts slowing down...like I put it in neutral, only I didn't! I turn off the cruise, depress the accelerator....nada. I exit the freeway, found a place to pull over & call a tow truck. Engine runs fine; the tranny will not go into ANY gear. As I have no experience working on front wheel drive transmissions, I do not know how to understand what happened.
What snapped?

·
Administrator
14,337 Posts
Could be the pump shaft..... Check the fluid with the engine off, note where it is on the dipstick(it will be over the hash mark). Then start the car and check again. If it didn't go down, the pump shaft probably sheered off which requires removal of the trans to fix.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You know where I can acquire a transmission diagram / parts list....exploded view?

·
Registered
572 Posts
To add to what Sousa632 posted, the splines in the toque converter (which drives the pump shaft) likely striped out due to Ford using a cheap design. If the pump can't operate, then the transmission will not be able to go into any gear. This is a common problem on 2003-2006 model years. Unfortunately, this requires removing the transmission from the car in order to gain access to the torque converter.

What's the mileage? Was there any kind of unusual operation prior to the failure?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There were no obvious issues @ the time this occured. Have taken it to a local shop for analysis; will contact them to look @ the TC & the splines...am curious myself now. Tks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
4 Participants
3Botes
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing