Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I just found this site and hope it'll be of some help with my car. It's a '90 Sable, 168k miles, and tranny fluid is brown. My symptom is identical to what I've read from "LoadedDX". I'd be driving along, cruise on, at about 58mph and around 2k on the tach. Then the car slows (cruise disengages) and when I get back up to the same speed I'm revving 2200 - 2300rpm. First this started when going up small hills. Now it's worse, the problem will appear even if I'm on a flat road and about after 10 - 15 minutes of driving. Have replaced plugs (using Bosch platinums), wires, cap, rotor & O2 sensor. RPM's are also higher at the lower speeds and the engine really over revs to get up to whatever speed I want to go. Hey, LoadedDX, if you're listening did you ever solve your problem? Do I need a tranny rebuild, is there a vacuum leak, could some sensor be acting up? I've been driving like this for about a year and would really like some help. Thanks and sorry for writing so much.

·
Registered
341 Posts
well...mine only did it pulling steep hills. and my car never slowed. it just revved, then dropped back to normal rpm's.

i upped my speed to 60 and lowered it to 55 and mine quit doing it entirely. probably it was just a weird speed to maintain and the cruise couldn't decide which gear it wanted.

i think it's normal operating stuff. check your fluid level/color though. some people are against changing brown fluid, but i'm planning on changing mine (brown tranny fluid to me is like burnt black oil...needs replaced...).

You sound like you have a different problem though, so I recommend checking fluid level and color.

good luck

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info LoadedLX. I'll be talking with an ex Ford mechanic tommorrow. Just FYI on that tranny fluid change. I was told by 2 separate transmission shops that if you hadn't adhered to the maintenance schedule then don't change it in a high mileage vehicle. Reason: New fluid has detergent in it and will wash away the varnish and gunk that's keeping the tranny working. Anyway, who knows. Thanks again and good luck. I'd be curious to hear how your car is after the fluid change.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts