Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

My 2001 bull with 63K, is acting weird.

The tranny is shifting rough, when shifting UP and DOWN.

This doesn't happen always, and it shifts normally most of the days.
But when it start acting up, it shifts rough for few days, and become normal after few days.

The rough sift UP-shift is in 1 -> 2 and 2 -> 3 shifts, but 3 -> 4 shift is always smooth.

Downshift is also rough, and many times 3 ->2 shift happens with a bang. I guess 3 -> 2 bang might be because of jumping from 3 -> 1, is it possible ?

The Cruze control works fine, and the speedo never flickers - VSS
And all the electricals are working fine - radio, PW, PL, rear de-frost - TRS

The days it acts up, the engagement from P to D and D to R, also happens with Jerk.

The fluid is Red, and is in good shape.

Any clue, what should be wrong.
Is it some of the sensors or the tranny itself.

Abhi

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
How many miles on the tranny fluid, is it the OEM fluid????

You have about the same miles on yours as I had on my 94, when it's shifting first began to act out.

I've had two problems that caused mine.

One was a intermittent speed sensor, but I also had other than up or down shifting problems, like the cruise control randomly dropping out, or not setting.

Monitoring the speed sensors PID to the computer with a scantool, caught it acting out at 37mph, right where it sometmes acted out with rough up shifts. It would sometimes grab 1st hard on a down shift when coming to stop.

Don't let this go like I did & have the rough downshifts pop the front liquid filled motor mount!!!!

The other times were apparently caused by gum, varnish, or sludge deposits, even though I've always changed the tranny fluid & filter as specified by Ford at or before 30K miles & the fluid always looked, smelled & felt ok & the tranny innards always looked squeeky clean inside.

Anyway the intermittent rough shifting over the years has responded favorably to a half can of Seafoam Trans Tune & driving it until the rough shifting stopped, then doing a tranny pan drop, filter change & continuing on with a full tranny fluid pump out, so I had ALL new fluid in the system.

Some thoughts for pondering.

·
Registered
2 Posts

You have about the same miles on yours as I had on my 94, when it's shifting first began to act out.

One was a intermittent speed sensor, but I also had other than up or down shifting problems, like the cruise control randomly dropping out, or not setting.

Monitoring the speed sensors PID to the computer with a scantool, caught it acting out at 37mph, right where it sometmes acted out with rough up shifts. It would sometimes grab 1st hard on a down shift when coming to stop.

Don't let this go like I did & have the rough downshifts pop the front liquid filled motor mount!!!!

The other times were apparently caused by gum, varnish, or sludge deposits, even though I've always changed the tranny fluid & filter as specified by Ford at or before 30K miles & the fluid always looked, smelled & felt ok & the tranny innards always looked squeeky clean inside.

Anyway the intermittent rough shifting over the years has responded favorably to a half can of Seafoam Trans Tune & driving it until the rough shifting stopped, then doing a tranny pan drop, filter change & continuing on with a full tranny fluid pump out, so I had ALL new fluid in the system.

[/b]

[/b]

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

[/b]

While coming to stop, sometimes the downshift from 3rd is with a bang.
And the normanl UP / DOWN shift is Rough in 1 - 2 - 3 gears.
Except the 4th gear, UP / DOWN shift to / from 4th gear is good.

The Cruze control works fine, and the speedo never flickers - VSS
And all the electricals are working fine - radio, PW, PL, rear de-frost - TRS

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
So how many miles on this fluid & filter?
Does it have the specified fluid in it????

If it's been a while since the tranny fluid & filter were changed, maybe consider trying a internal tranny tidy upper, like Seafoam Trans Tune, or maybe the more expensive AutoRx for trannies at the specified on container dose rate & see if things improve.

If things get better, then suspect internal gum, varnish, or sludge deposits & change the tranny fluid & filter after the problem stops, or doesn't get any better.

If you don't get any improvements with the detergents, then maybe suspect an electrical, or internal mechanical, or gasket/seal problem.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Senior guys,

Kindly advice !!
The problem is intermittent.
Can this be an Electrical issue ?

If I use Cruze control at 40 - 45 mph, the RPMs fluctuate, but I guess that is because of the TCC lock / un-lock at that speed.

The Fluid & Filter was changed at 46K by the previous owner. Fluid is full and is in good shape.
I have already tried Lucas and Seafoam Trans Tune, a month back, with no results.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Well lets see, so the previous owner had the fluid changed & you now have less than 20K miles on that tranny fluid.
So do you know that the previous owner used the specified tranny fluid????

Were the shift problems there from the beginning, or did they come about suddenly, after some event????

Now you say that you have tried both a Lucas product & Seafoam Trans Tune with no change in the shift routine, so was the problem present before you poured in the aftermarket Lucas product????

Are the Lucas & Seafoam Trans Tune products still in the tranny fluid????

If you don't think deposits, or the wrong fluid/mix is your problem, maybe reading through this trouble shooting list of symptoms will answer some of your questions. Just scroll down the list to find your symptom.
http://www.taurusclub.com/downloads/AXOD-E%20Diagnosis.pdf

1 - 8 of 8 Posts