Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figure since the Windstar has the same tranny/engine combo as the Tuarus, somebody on this forum may have some helpful advice. Just wondering what would cause a small thump when the tranny downshifts from second to first gear at around 10 MPH. The vehicle (95 Windstar) has a 3.8 with the automatic. It currently has around 100k miles and I am sure that the tranny has not been serviced. Should I bother getting it serviced at this point or will it cause more harm than good?

Thanks

Spiff

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
Should I bother getting it serviced at this point or will it cause more harm than good?
there will always be a debate on this subject. think of it as a engine, if the oil wasn't changed in 10,000 miles yould you not change the oil because its been in there so long.

yes change it, have it flushed out with a flush machine (you'll have to take it somewhere for that) if you can. otherwise drop the pan replace the gasket and replace the oil that comes out.

what color is the fluid now? what does it smell like? does it smell like new fluid?

even if the fluid is currently clean I couldent hurt to change it out.

make sure you clean the magnet in the pan ;)

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
Just wondering what would cause a small thump when the tranny downshifts from second to first gear at around 10 MPH.
how small of a thump? or is it more of a small bang? the nutral position switch could cause that, it will show up as a code when it is scanned. usually when the nutral position switch goes out it will have other symptoms like randomly down shifting or shifting through gears really early, for example being in 4th gear at 30mph with the TQ locked, around 1,000rpm.

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply Somedude.

It is a really low intensity thump when it goes from second to first. I am sure it is not noticeable to most but since I know these transmissions are prone to failure I am probably just paranoid. The fluid on the dipstick looks good and when it comes to smell I have no idea if it smells normal as I don't usually sniff trany fluid :lol2:

Spiff

1 - 4 of 4 Posts