Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. I'm new to the forum and have been scouring pages looking for answers. My 97 SHO has close to 200k on it, all original. The tranny drives great under hard acceleration but slips bad at the high end of the tach, like it's in neutral. Good fluid level, no CELs. I'm looking into rebuilding it, but do you guys have any ideas what could be causing? I'm trying to buy some time until I can get into it. Thanks.

·
Registered
233 Posts
How high? You could be low on clutch material, and when the engine hits peak torque around 4k, the clutches slip. TC could be slipping, too. Just my $0.02.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
^+1 Uhm, stay off the high R's until you get it rebuilt?! (PS: go with a heavy duty shift-kit)

·
Registered
8 Posts
where

where can I get a heavy duty shift kit? I am about to pull my engine and want to work on transmission while engine is out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I figured the clutches or pump are shot. There was a good bit of material on the magnet last fluid change. To clarify; it drives fine cruising in the upper range, but slipping under hard acceleration in the upper end.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Check your fluid to see if its burnt. It might not be slipping. If its slipping, fluid should be darker than normal.

I bought my '97 SHO and tranny would slip in 3rd gear under hard accel. Fluid looked and smelled perfect.

I put the scanner on it and watched the nuetral safety switch (Transmission Range Switch) and everytime it "slipped", nuetral safety switch would get a little blip in voltage.

Changed the Nuetral Safety switch and problem solved. Seems it wasn't slipping at all, just going into nuetral.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Changed the Nuetral Safety switch and problem solved. Seems it wasn't slipping at all, just going into nuetral.
Interesting thought, though I thought the neutral safety switch was just to prevent starting in a drive gear. I'll have to check that out. It seems like it's slipping, but it could be neutral as well.

We do have performance rebuilt transmisions: Rebuilt SHO AX4N
This is definitely on my list if it turns out to be shot.

·
Registered
10,566 Posts
Trs

Interesting thought, though I thought the neutral safety switch was just to prevent starting in a drive gear. I'll have to check that out. It seems like it's slipping, but it could be neutral as well.

This is definitely on my list if it turns out to be shot.
Now called TRS or trans range sensor. It has 5 resistors and a slider that goes from contact to one of the 5 resistors for 6 outputs to tell the electronics where the transmission position is. Quite important as well as it's adjustment. (also backup light and neutral safety)

-chart-

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Check your fluid to see if its burnt. It might not be slipping. If its slipping, fluid should be darker than normal.
It's slightly darker. Doesn't smell burnt. Not sure if it can be related, but every time I open the hood after driving, the dipstick is popped out a bit.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts