Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:( Well this sucks my tranny is messing up. It dont want to shift into 2nd sometimes and not into 3rd. I want to get the transmission rebuilt but dont have the money. I dont want to get rid of the car but i just dont have the money to rebuild the transmission or even get another one. WHAT SHOULD I DO? :(

·
Registered
126 Posts
To tell you the truth, you can probably find a good Sable or Taurus on Craigslist for a good $1200. I got mine for about $900 on Craigslist but aside from that, you can dish out $1200 for a rebuild and have it replaced.

You are in a tough situation!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well ive encountered another problem now. It drives fine through 2nd and 3rd now. I put some Lucas Tranny Fix and it helped but, Now i dont have reverse and when in Neutral it pulls the car foward. And when in reverse, it barely moves and makes my motor go down in RPM's. Sometimes in Neutral, when i rev the motor up a little bit and stop, some noise is in the trany like something is banging around. Like sticking a shoe in the dryer and hearing all the moving. Its wierd what is it? :unsure:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Yes I would agree with silvapain, I wouldn't drive your car far away anymore. Next time you do, it might leave you far from your house. If I were you, I would go to a junkyard and pull a tranny and get a mechanic to put it in. With luck, you can have it bought and installed for $600-800.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I could but you never know how long that will last. Ill just go get an F150 like my dads. His is a 91 and everything is still original except the A/C. my grandpa got the R-134a installed a long long time ago. I wish this generation of the Taurus/Sable had the manual tranny. But no.. they put it for luxury for the grandmas. Instead of thinkin of us. Lol idk

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
It all depends on how long u plan on keeping the car and if u think it's worth fixing or junking. If it's in good shape otherwise and u plan on keeping it, have a good rebuilt put in it and enjoy it some more years without worrying about the trannie. A junk yard trannie is just borrowed time, like buying another used car as-is. If u decide to take the risk of putting in a used trannie, try car-part.com and find a low mile one @ local yards across the us. There's a good yard in Seguin to the east of you off bus 90 that I've done business with, they should have a few ax4n's there.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well ill have to save up some money to see what i can do. This guy sent me an email saying he can rebuild it for me for $895 with parts and labor. Better than $1900 at AAMCO. Yea the car is in good condiiton and worth keepingm but where i live, if the car sits too long, the manager or the owner will complain and want it outta here. So idk what to do. Its my first car so if i get rid of it, ima miss badly.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I wish my manager would tow out the few cars that have been sitting here for over 1 year! One of them happens to be a rare Volvo 740 turbo diesel wagon from the 80's that still looks decent. If he said he'll rebuild it for $895 I would be leary, is that just for the trannie? How good is their work? How long do they stand behind their work? Check them out on BBB.org. If it's only 1 year 12k, I would just drop a used one in since a good used trannie will probably last longer than a half *** cheap rebuild. Most of the cost in the rebuild is the labor for dropping the dreadful subframe in our FWD Fords. If U can find somone who can put it in, u might just want to price out a better rebuild that has a decent warranty that covers the labor as well, depending on how long u plan to keep the car. If the car is in good shape and u want to keep it your better off fixing it than buying somone else's problems with another car, it sucks but as any car gets older u will have to decide to put time and $ into it, or making payments on a newer car that loses value every year. I know somday my Taurus will have the same fate, but I intend on keeping it and taking care of the problems that come with age. Hopfully my Mobil 1 trannie fluid changes every 30k will take it near 200k before I need worry. Good luck

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
If your worried about it sitting, just move it from spot to spot every week or two @ night while you save $. That should buy u some time til u can get it fixed as long as the tags are current they can't do anything :p

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thats true. Well im continuing to drive it without reverse. My dumbass went to Wal Mart and parked front facing a curb. Knowing i forgot i didnt have reverse, i looked at my self and felt stupid. I had to push it out, luckily these cars aint that heavy.

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
I think it's a long shot as it sounds like the transmission is too far gone, but you could try changing the transmission fluid. If you did it yourself, you wouldn't be out too much money if it didn't work. Probably 6 quarts of fluid and maybe changing the filter would be about $30.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I would only drive it to the tranny shop unless u can push it home from Walmart with melting ice cream, when they let go it sucks. Some places will give u a free tow with repair

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well the good thing is that my dad has AAA so we get free towing. Im thinking about changing the fluid again. I did it a month and a half ago cause the tranny wouldnt go into any gear. Turned out it was a nasty filter. Someone that owned it before me didnt take care of it. But when i get some money to ima change it hopefully it will change something.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
It can be kinda hard to find most consumer owned cars that have been taken care of, that's why I bought a Hertz rental, so at least I know it's had an oil change every 3k and no under 25 drivers before I had it. If the last owner didn't take care of that car, it may not be worth fixing, some people go 20k or more between their oil changes (unless it's a BMW), although it seems like these cars can take a lot of abuse and neglect that the average idiot can or not do to a car. A lot of people just don't know about tranny fluid changes, or your car just spend most of its life in stop and go on 410 or somthing.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
from lary the cable guy
buying a rental is like geting a wife from a ***** house.

Your dam right i want the extra insurance. That Festia is about to see more air time then Cessna airplane.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
LMAO He was on tv the other day from the strip in Las Vegas. Well someone called about the car. He offered $500 and i said Ill take it. Just to get it outta here. Hope he shows up with it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts