Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 95 taurus with the 3.0 engine and I believe the AX4N maybe the S tranny. My problem is during acceleration a strange clicking noise almost like a solenoid. I do know the motor mount is bad and will be replaced this weekend. Could this excessive motor movement cause this problem? When the car is accelerated at a slow speed the clicking doesn't happen and the transmission shifts fine. When I accelerate faster the clicking starts. It almost seems that its coming from the top of the trans. I hate to have to get the trans rebuilt because it shifts fine (no slipping, jerking or hesitation) just a strange clicking noise. Are there any electric solenoides that could be causing this?

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
I'm pretty sure you have the AX4S trans. YOu can check by loking at the trans filter cover on the bottom of the tranny. if it says AXOD or AX4S, then it's the AX4S.

I'm afraid I would have to hear the engine before I could know what the clicking might be.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Could be a motor mount. Could also be your tranny on it's way out. Check the tranny fluid. Does it smell burnt ? I just replaced the tranny on a 95. The tranny would making clicking noises after putting it in park.

·
Registered
66 Posts
be aware that motor mounts don't always fix vibration. I learned the hard way, replaced 2 due to motor vibration and still blew out my first gear yesterday...now first gear might work but reverse appears to be history! 130k GL wagon 94, rebuilt at 89, new VSS and clutch seal at 125k...live and learn on the AXOE

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I found out what the problem is on my 95. The chain inside the tranny is jumping the teeth on the sprocket either the chain is stretched and or the sprocket is missing some teeth. I priced the chain $60. to $110. bucks depending on the chain ( it has to be matched up.) The rear motor mount is bad and has nothing to do with the trans problem. The transmission shop wants $1800. to do the rebuild not including the hard parts.( chain and sprockets). The trans shifts fine and does not slip as long as the car is driven like a grandma. It kind of like when you were a kid riding your bike with a loose chain, as long as you sat on the seat and pedalled slowly you were ok. You stand up and pedal hard and you know what happened. I'm going to start pulling the trans tomorrow. The rebuild kit runs $109. I've rebuild a volvo AW70 and a Porsche 901 manual, this looks a little challenging but I give it a try. Oh by the way katie is my wife, I registered on the site and then tried to get logged on and it wouldn't let me in. Of coarse my wife had no problem, to bad she won't help in the garage. :blink:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I pulled it yesterday, Heres the routine support engine (4x4 and chain) disconnect battery remove airbox, disconnect wiring on top of trans, loosen the top bolts on trans, leaving the top two in. removed starter and dust cover. Then from the bottom side removed the header pipe at exhaust manifolds, disconnected the motor mounts at the subframe, remove the two steering rack nuts, loosened the lower ball joints and removed bolts and spread the joint. Then removed the lower drop link for the sway bar. removed the axle nut, then pried the lower ball joint down and pulled the strut out away from trans removing the cv axle. Then repeated on the other side. Disconnected the trans fluid lines, the rear trans mount drivers side then the two bolts mounting the trans mount on the pass side then supported the subframe and removed the four subframe bolts and lowered it to the floor. Moved the subframe out of the way, then supported the tranny with a floor jack and a piece of 3/4 plywood, removed the lower trans bolts and pushed the trans towards the driver side and out she came. All in about three hours taking my time to not remove anything unnecessary. It went fairly easy just be careful if doing this by yourself, I had a buddy help lowering the subframe and tranny. I be tearing into the tranny on the bench today. I keep you posted. :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll try to take some pics, but the problem is expensive camera and lot of grease and trans fluid not a good combo. The last thing I need is a wife pissed off because I've destroyed her camera. I try to see what I can do. So far, valve body removed and getting ready to split the case to get to the drive chain. I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I love it.... I'll be doing the same thing in (about) July due to a overheating problem. (gotta go outta town for three weeks in June)

I was planning on getting the (pissed-off) wife to take the pics. The way I see it, it's only right. I mean, I fix the engine after she blew the heads last summer. :lol2:

Where you getting your parts? Prices ok? I got my rebuild & update manuals from bulkparts.com for $14 ea.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As far as transmission parts we have a local transmission supply house that caters to the repair shops in town (Jacksonville FL). I purchased a rebuild manual and priced the repair parts. Prices don't seem to out of line compared to what I see on the net. If the prices are close to the net prices, I like to support local business. I'll take some pics today and post them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts