Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I only really notice this happening when the tranny is warm. I will accelerate at moderate pace in first, it will shift to second before 3500, then I will try to hold second gear out to at least 4K so I can hear the secondaries open (gawd I love that sound). Sometimes the tranny will granny-shift into 3rd, even at 1/2 throttle in second. So I floor it to make it downshift, and all it does is do a third gear pull, instead of downshifting to second. I would be flooring it right around 35-40 which is plenty low enough to go down into second. From a stop after this happens, I floor it in first and eats up the revs in first like normal, then it shifts into second, like normal, then at around 5K RPMs in second, the revs will drop for about a half second down to about 4500 then start climbing again. I know this happens in most gen3s in 3rd gear, I have seen a few dyno runs of gen3s and it happens to everyone. But it happened in second. That has never happened before.
Other times it feels like the tq convertor doesn't know what it is doing. With climate control off, (again when tranny is warm) going highway speeds, I nudge the throttle to pass someone, and the convertor unlocks for a split second then locks itself back up immeditately.
The tranny was rebuild about 1.5K ago or so. AFAIK the shop warranties its work for 12K or 12 months, whichever comes first, so if the tranny fails again, no big deal. But it is really annoying. I search for power at low speeds and I don't get it like I am used to.
Since it only happens after warm-up I tend to believe that the fluid is overheating or something. Luckily my spring break is coming up next week so I can take it back to the shop and have them look at it then have the shift kit and tranny cooler installed that have been sitting in my backseat forever. Maybe that is all it needs.
Any ideas? Sound familiar?

J

·
0 Posts
You said exactly what I was going to suggest. I would take it back to the shop. Have them check it out, drive it, etc. to feel exactly what it's doing, get them to fix it and definitely do a shift kit and tranny cooler. I think you've got the right idea.
Best of luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts