Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 Taurus with a 3.0L and an Automatic Tranny. I was driving down the road and everything was working just fine until i let off the gas. When i got back on the gas it acted like it was in neutral. It will hold in park but when you put it into any gear it makes no noise and does nothing like it is in neutral. If anybody knows what this could poosibly be please reply because i don't want to have to pull it unless i need too. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
wow it must be dead taurus tranny season

the EXACT same thing happened to me. had to get it in for a rebuild. cost me 2800.

what i think it could be is the electronic pressure control solenoid crapping out.

if you have time and want to try to replace to see if it does anything try it.

the EPC Solenoid is in the transmission but accessible while its in the car. (at least in a windstar)
just remove a the driver side wheel, and try to clear up space for the side pan (youre gonna need a oil catch pan) and remove the pan.

ax4s
http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/merchant...Product_Count=5

ax4n
http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/merchant...Product_Count=9

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
You can get it done a lot cheaper than 2800.
I got 1800 for a quote around the WI area.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
I have a 2000 Taurus with a 3.0L and an Automatic Tranny. I was driving down the road and everything was working just fine until i let off the gas. When i got back on the gas it acted like it was in neutral. It will hold in park but when you put it into any gear it makes no noise and does nothing like it is in neutral. If anybody knows what this could poosibly be please reply because i don't want to have to pull it unless i need too. Thanks.
[/b]
Welcome to TCCA.

How many miles on this tranny???

Have you checked the tranny fluid level & the fluids condition???

Have you been having any symptoms before this happened???

How many miles since the tranny filter & fluid were changed????

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all. Sorry to thread jack or whatever you would call it. But my grandmother is having the same problem. She was driving down the road after church last sunday. Once she cam to a stop and began to take off again, nothing happened. Its a 2004. She said there has never been any problems with it before or signs that the tranny was going bad. I drove it about a month ago. Being that a 75 year old lady was the normal driver, it drove just like new. Im not sure if the filter and fluid had been changed but I assume they have. She always took it to the local ford dealer to have routine maintenance done. Any ideas on what it could be? Thanks. Adam.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Hi all. Sorry to thread jack or whatever you would call it. But my grandmother is having the same problem. She was driving down the road after church last sunday. Once she cam to a stop and began to take off again, nothing happened. Its a 2004. She said there has never been any problems with it before or signs that the tranny was going bad. I drove it about a month ago. Being that a 75 year old lady was the normal driver, it drove just like new. Im not sure if the filter and fluid had been changed but I assume they have. She always took it to the local ford dealer to have routine maintenance done. Any ideas on what it could be? Thanks. Adam.
[/b]
It's possible that it's the transmission range sensor or the vehicle speed sensor causing the problem.

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
stupid question but are the rpms going up..

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
[/b]
Welcome to TCCA.

Have you checked the tranny fluid level & condition????

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
The tranny fluid is fine and it has done nothing in the past except til this point
[/b]
Sounds like how my 94 Taurus AXODE tranny began to suddenly act out without warning, back in 99.

I had serviced the tranny with pan drops, filter change & full fluid pump outs with the specified Motorcraft Mercon fluid & Motorcraft Filtran tranny filter, at or before Fords severe service schedule & still have had hanging, up or down shifts, or no shifts, over the years.

As I knew the tranny innards & fluid were ok, I suspected gum, varnish or sludge deposits & after some research, elected to try a half can of "Seafoam Trans Tune" which is an affordable tranny 'cleaner upper" that won't get after seals, gaskets, plastic parts, or metals.

Drove it until it completely stopped acting out, then did a pan drop, filter change & full fluid pump out like the instructions in the Wiki.
The fluid, pan & tranny innards looked fine.

That lasted about 4 years, then it began acting out again, so I repeated the Trans Tune, & tranny service again which corrected the problem.

Then danged if it didn't begin to intermittently act up again last spring, with rough 2-1 down shifts when coming to a stop & sometimes it would miss a down shift when rounding a corner.

So after the last dose of Trans Tune this past fall, because of persistant 2-1 hang up, down shifts when slowing to round a corner & rough 2-1 down shifts when coming to a stop, I elected to just leave the Trans Tune in until the next tranny service & it's finally stopped it's rough 2-1 down shifts when coming to a stop & has almost completely stopped it's hang shifts when rounding a corner & haven't had a, "no engagement" problem since the first Trans Tune treatment back in 99.

So I'm beginning to wonder if Ford Motorcrafts Mercon fluids ad pack is robust enough, because all the Trans Tune does is tidy up deposits & they sure must be mighty small as my tranny innards that I can see, are squeeky clean & there has been nil in the way of pan or magnet deposits over the years!!!!

So I'm beginning to think maybe most of our tranny shift problems are deposit related & if so, a good detergent additive should help.

I've read about Auto-Rx for trannies, which is a rather expensive Ester based lube, that has good detegent/dispersant properties that'll SLOWLY soften, disolve & remove deposits & many folks are giving it good marks. I've never used it, nor personally know of anyone who has, but haven't read any negative things so far.

I'm really not into aftermarket additives & am mighty persnickety about the two or three I've used over the past 50 years or so, but sometimes it seems maybe their called for in limited situations & times, for specific problems.

So if you think you'd want to try something like a detergent/cleaner upper, maybe consider giving them a try, if the problem is deposit related, maybe they'll help.

A whole bunch of historical thoughts for consideration & pondering.

·
Registered
2 Posts
yes, the rpms were going up when it happened.. just the car didn't move. the tranny fluid looked like it should have. didn't really smell burnt or anything like that. my brother took the tranny out at his shop and the inside looked pretty good too... i mean it is only a 2004 and an old lady drives it lol. how would i know if it is the transmission range sensor o the vehicle speed sensor? thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
yes, the rpms were going up when it happened.. just the car didn't move. the tranny fluid looked like it should have. didn't really smell burnt or anything like that. my brother took the tranny out at his shop and the inside looked pretty good too... i mean it is only a 2004 and an old lady drives it lol. how would i know if it is the transmission range sensor o the vehicle speed sensor? thanks for the help.
[/b]
Well if the speed sensor is acting out, it would go into gear, but you'd likely have other up or down shifting problems, or the cruise control not engaging, or randomally dropping out, or the speed-o acting up.

If it were the TRS, unless it just failed outright, maybe you could jiggle the shifter & have it respond, or shift into another gear & have it work ok.

If it were something like a shift solenoid failure, it could happen suddenly if the solenoids coil opened up, or it's electrical connection failed & if it were electrical in nature it should have set a trouble code, but you'd need a scantool that'll read tranny codes.

Or if it were the valve body acting up from deposits, you might not get a code.

So, If it were deposits, you might get a code & you might not. In my cases with the 94 Taurus & 99 Ranger, I never got any tranny trouble codes, but both trannies acting out responded right away to a detergent additive & fluid change.

Even though the trannies had regular service at or before Fords severe service call outs, I still have had shift problems, from no engagement, to rough 2-1 down shifting when coming to a stop, to hang shifts when rounding corners.

Seems our trannies are mighty sensitive to the smallest amount of gum, varnish, or sludge & around town stop & go driving, especially in hot weather, is hard on tranny fluid & qualifies as "severe service", so just because she's a senior citizen & doesn't romp & stomp on her ride, doesn't mean it isn't seeing severe service!!!!

Will be interesting to hear whats found, so keep us posted.

More thoughts for pondering.

·
Registered
332 Posts
PawPaw
My bull has 60K on it, with tranny fluid still red, it was changed 15k back.

It has occasional hard shift from 1-2 and occasional hard down-shift 3-2(with a bang), when I start it cold in morning. After few miles, its good.

I wanna try Trans Tune, but doubt is :
1. When it dissolve the Gum and Varnish, it shouldnt block the filter.
2. I am not gonna flush the tranny, shoud I try it.

Anyone, has any thought about it ?

·
Registered
126 Posts
If I were you guys, I would go to a local junkyard and try to look for a TRS, It fixed my car and well, its not that expensive. i got it for $10 at the local junkyard. Thats a first to check, I had members from TCCA help me pinpoint the problem to my problem.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
PawPaw

It has occasional hard shift from 1-2 and occasional hard down-shift 3-2(with a bang), when I start it cold in morning. After few miles, its good.

Anyone, has any thought about it ?
[/b]
When the tranny fluid was changed 15K ago, was the pan dropped & cleaned & the tranny filter changed & a full fluid pump out done, to remove the old fluid in the tranny valve body, torque converer, lines, radiator & tranny cooler????

If so what did the fluid, pan deposits & filter look like???? Any signs of medium to heavy gum, varnish, or sludge deposits in the pan, or on the tranny valve body????

If it was clean inside with little or no deposits, then the Trans Tune won't likely have much to clean up or clog the tranny filter with.

Or if your not sure about the tranny innards deposit load, just add a half dose of Trans Tune like I did, before the fluid change & drive it until it stops acting out, but watch the fluids condition closely.

Adding a half dose might take longer for it to do it's work, but the important thing is to SLOWLY soften & dissolve any deposits, so they won't clog up the shift solenoids, valve body parts, ect, that have close tolerances.
What we want to do is slowly soften & dissolve & hold in suspenson in the fluid, any deposits, so the filter can remove them.

So if the tranny seemed clean inside on the last service, I wouldn't be concerned about the tranny filter clogging up. BUT, if deposits were medium to heavy & the fluid is now dirty, then I'd first drop the pan to clean it up again & remove as much in the way of deposits as you can & change the tranny filter & refill with new fluid & continue on with a full tranny pump out as outlined in the wiki, as this will get all of the old fluid out of the tranny.

Then drive it some to let the new tranny fluids detergents do their thing & see how things go.

If the new fluid doesn't get too dirty too fast, but the shifting improves, drive it until the problem stops, or no more improvement occurs, then maybe consider trying a half dose of Trans Tune & see if you get additional positive results, but keep an eye on the tranny fluids condition & if it seems to be getting really dirty fast, then do another pan drop, filter change & full fluid pump out.

Again, the idea is to SLOWLY remove any deposits, like they were formed. DON'T do it so fast that a wad of gunk is loosened & cloggs something important up!!!!

More thoughts for consideration.
Let us know what you do & how it goes.

·
Registered
332 Posts
QUOTE (pawpaw @ Jan 8 2009, 05:38 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=690459
QUOTE (ab_sood @ Jan 8 2009, 04:28 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=690440
PawPaw

Anyone, has any thought about it ?[/b]
When the tranny fluid was changed 15K ago, was the pan dropped & cleaned & the tranny filter changed & a full fluid pump out done, to remove the old fluid in the tranny valve body, torque converer, lines, radiator & tranny cooler????

If so what did the fluid, pan deposits & filter look like???? Any signs of medium to heavy gum, varnish, or sludge deposits in the pan, or on the tranny valve body????

If it was clean inside with little or no deposits, then the Trans Tune won't likely have much to clean up or clog the tranny filter with.

Or if your not sure about the tranny innards deposit load, just add a half dose of Trans Tune like I did, before the fluid change & drive it until it stops acting out, but watch the fluids condition closely.

Adding a half dose might take longer for it to do it's work, but the important thing is to SLOWLY soften & dissolve any deposits, so they won't clog up the shift solenoids, valve body parts, ect, that have close tolerances.
What we want to do is slowly soften & dissolve & hold in suspenson in the fluid, any deposits, so the filter can remove them.

So if the tranny seemed clean inside on the last service, I wouldn't be concerned about the tranny filter clogging up. BUT, if deposits were medium to heavy & the fluid is now dirty, then I'd first drop the pan to clean it up again & remove as much in the way of deposits as you can & change the tranny filter & refill with new fluid & continue on with a full tranny pump out as outlined in the wiki, as this will get all of the old fluid out of the tranny.

Then drive it some to let the new tranny fluids detergents do their thing & see how things go.

If the new fluid doesn't get too dirty too fast, but the shifting improves, drive it until the problem stops, or no more improvement occurs, then maybe consider trying a half dose of Trans Tune & see if you get additional positive results, but keep an eye on the tranny fluids condition & if it seems to be getting really dirty fast, then do another pan drop, filter change & full fluid pump out.

Again, the idea is to SLOWLY remove any deposits, like they were formed. DON'T do it so fast that a wad of gunk is loosened & cloggs something important up!!!!

More thoughts for consideration.
Let us know what you do & how it goes.
[/b][/quote]

PawPaw.
How long did the SeaFoam took to work for you ?
I put 1/2 a can of Sea Foam, 1000 miles ago(2 months ago). No improvements yet. All short trips.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Well the first time I tried Seafoam TransTune back in the summer of 99, it took about 4 days to get some positive results & about 6 weeks for it to completely clear up. But I only used a half can (8oz) of tans tune & it was warm weather then & the fluid was getting up to full operating temp, so I imagine that helped emulsify whatever deposits I had.

My tranny had been clean inside on previous pan drops, no visable deposits, so I wasn't worried about clogging the tranny filter with sludge, gum, or varnish deposits, by using the Trans Tune.

When I did finally drop the pan to clean it out & change the tranny filter everything still looked clean, no debris on/in the filter, very minimal clutch dust on the bottom of the tranny pan & almost nothing on the pan magnet, so what ever the problem was, it sure must have been small in the way of deposits. So apparently it doesn't take much to mess with our Ford trannies!!!!

Maybe consider taking a 20 mile trip out & back at highway speeds, to get the tranny fluid fully wrmed up, followed by some urban driving, so the tranny has to up & down shift after the tranny fluid & Trans Tune has fully warmed & see how that goes.

More thoughts for pondering. Let us know how it goes.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts