Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just bought my 98 wagon today. Am damn happy so far. But do have one problem.... When car shifts from 1st to 2nd it shifts very rough, it seems to shift a little late. Also, when going in low speed, like 5 mph, it will accelerate by itself, not crazily out of control acceleration, but very noticable...And, dont know if this is normal or not, but when driving the 2 miles at 25 mph from my home to highway, I can get up to 25 mph and it will stay at that same speed for almost the whole two miles without hitting the gas. Also had car scanned at autozone, which showed no codes....Any info would help...Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
I cannot comment on the shifting. Regarding maintaining 25 mph without pressing gas pedal, I think Taurus is programmed to run that way. When I got my first Taurus, I felt the same way.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
I would disconnect the battery and discharge the keep memory alive by stepping on the brake for a min. reconnect and let the car learn the way you drive.
this may help it may not.
also check the trans fluid and see what condition it is in. these trans need the fluid and filter changed often.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i will try that tomorrow i have heard of this somewhere else, cant hurt it. anyways, about the fluid change.... why do some people say it is bad and some good??? thats frustrating.... I am gonna go ahead and get tranny fluid and filter changed somewhere. any suggestions on wich type of place i should go??? and thanks for the help...

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
when i checked it, it was a quart low, so i added a quart. i did notice that the atf smelled burnt.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i've read some other threads with this kind of problem and vehicle speed sensor seems to pop up alot. the thing is though my speedometer is working fine with no problems with it....

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
i will try that tomorrow i have heard of this somewhere else, cant hurt it. anyways, about the fluid change.... why do some people say it is bad and some good??? thats frustrating.... I am gonna go ahead and get tranny fluid and filter changed somewhere. any suggestions on wich type of place i should go??? and thanks for the help...
heres the thing. if the tranny fluid and filter has never been changed and you have 150 thousand stop and go miles on it it could turn out bad. new fluid and filter will increase the pressure and possible blow a seal.
a power flush is not a good idea at all.
the trans holds around 15qts, the way i would go about it if its high mileage is. drop pan change filter and fluid in pan ( after pan clean ) I would not use any conditioners.
I would baby the trans for 500 - 1000 miles and change the pan fluid again. the drive it 10000 miles and change the fluid, filter and drain fluid out of the cooling lines.
this might cause the seals to blow. it might not. a trans out of a jy will run $300+ depending on where you go. a trans shop rebuild well thats alot more.
I do my own work. I have seen what some shops will pull and I do not trust them. ( this is from my personal experiance ) I am not saying there are no trust worthy shops out there.
merc v is the only fluid i would use.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
i've read some other threads with this kind of problem and vehicle speed sensor seems to pop up alot. the thing is though my speedometer is working fine with no problems with it....
How is the battery and alt? low voltage can cause issues with the taurus. a bad ground strap, dirty connections etc...

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the car has 98,000 miles on it. i have no maintence records or anything, wish i did.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the battery is 12 volts with engine off and 15.3 volts with engine on using multimeter

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yea i got 14.3 not 15.3 i checked when i first started and then 2 minutes later, reading was about the same. using digital mm, and with batt resting 7 hours cold it had 12.2 volts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
so as i was lookin at autozone website i noticed that there was a vehicle speed sensor, and a transmission speed sensor, whats the difference??? Also i think there was an input and output sensor??? So many sensors lol. my 88 astro had 6 sensor or something like that lol

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ok didnt say variable, but there is a vehicle speed sensor, transmission speed sensor, and an transmission output sensor. but i am still lookin up this stuff, just curious to waht they are and what they do

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ok sorry still trying to learn everything. i think it just has a vehicle speed sensor and 1 transmission speed sensor, and i have seen the word transmission range sensor which i think is the same as the tranny speed sensor.... very confusing lol... i think they're just some different names out there for the same parts

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
ok sorry still trying to learn everything. i think it just has a vehicle speed sensor and 1 transmission speed sensor, and i have seen the word transmission range sensor which i think is the same as the tranny speed sensor.... very confusing lol... i think they're just some different names out there for the same parts
sorry you are right. i am tired. ok here it is
Turbine speed sensor (TSS)

This may also be known as an input speed sensor (ISS). This sensor sends a varying frequency signal to the TCU to determine the current rotational speed of the input shaft or torque converter. The TCU uses the input shaft speed to determine slippage across the torque converter and potentially to determine the rate of slippage across the bands and clutches. This information is vital to regulate the application of the torque converter lock-up clutch smoothly and effectively.
Vehicle speed sensor (VSS)

This may also be known as an output speed sensor (OSS). This sensor sends a varying frequency signal to the TCU to determine the current speed of the vehicle. The TCU uses this information to determine when a gear change should take place based in the various operating parameters.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
trs, aka neutral safety switch.
This sensor tells the computer what gear you are in. prnd21 or what ever gear select your car has.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts