Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:angry: Ok, What's this ATF Questions all about? Why does no manufacturer provide a drain plug for their Transmissions???? The TCCA is obsessed with promoting aftermarket Taurus Tranny coolers, as if everone's Tranny will explode without an exta cooler? Not every Taurus lives in Death Valley , nor lives in the Arctic! Similar argument with Engine Oil ? Theres a lot of Bull out there, Poor Ford.

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
There is no drain plug because the filter must be changed and therefore to prevent people from just draining 6 quarts of ATF and running with a worthless clogged filter, no drain plug.

Most aftermarket transmission filters have a 10k life span.

A $45 transmission cooler will save a person 2-4K dollars over the life of a Taurus/Sable.

There's no debate about oil. Everyone agrees it is critical and that Synthetic oil is the best.
Hell, I use Mobil 1 but I know Amsoil is better.
As far as weight grades go, I bet (oh, $100) you can't find one well known person on this forum that will tell you not to use any synthetic 10W-30.

Have a great day!

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:huh: The Pan-Drop Filter is NOT a filter, it's a "screen". That "Screen" does NOT filter TX oil! There is no filter in an automatic TX! Those plug and play "screens" only filter floating logs and lost bolts! (and last month's Playboy).

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
QUOTE (toronut @ May 28 2009, 03:10 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=728656
:huh: The Pan-Drop Filter is NOT a filter, it's a "screen". That "Screen" does NOT filter TX oil! There is no filter in an automatic TX! Those plug and play "screens" only filter floating logs and lost bolts! (and last month's Playboy).[/b]
Really? Last time I saw one, there was definitely yellow colored filter media in the thing and the box said to change the FILTER, every 10k miles.

But hey, life's too short.

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
QUOTE (toronut @ May 28 2009, 03:46 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=728663
You do not need an aftermarket Tx cooler, you do not need anything.[/b]
Need. Of course not.

When you say, "you do not need anything." what are you referring to? Do you need, a car? Do you "need" to wipe your bottom and wash your hands? Do you "need" to brush your tooth? Do you "need" to wash your hair? Do you "need" to take a weekly bath? You do not need any of those things!

Reminds me of the man who used to jump in to a home owners septic tank for fifty cents...

You had to pay him $500 to leave.

·
Premium Member
7,048 Posts
QUOTE (toronut @ May 28 2009, 03:46 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=728663
You do not need an aftermarket Tx cooler, you do not need anything.[/b]
You haven't had your Taurus for long have you. With one of these cars, I'd recommend an aftermarket cooler everytime. I installed mine the day after my transmission was replaced at 92k miles.

I consider a "screen" to be see-through media such as a window screen or that thin thingy on a fuel pump pickup tube. The filter in a taurus transmission is definitely a "filter"

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Owned a Bull for 19 years (on my second one), never needed any stupid aftermarket crap whatsoever.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
QUOTE (toronut @ May 28 2009, 06:07 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=728668
Owned a Bull for 19 years (on my second one), never needed any stupid aftermarket crap whatsoever.[/b]
Umm why even join this forum if you are going to belittle any advice anyone gives you? No one ever said you needed a cooler...it does help though....I mean all of these peole just have no clue what they are talking about. :rolleyes2: No two cars are the same...some will run 19 years like yours and others not so much. It's like insurance....is it possible that you'll never use it in your entire life? Yes...but if it does come up that you need it, you'll be glad you had it.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
:eek: My first Taurus (Gen1 1990) I owned for 14 years (stock) and was driven in massive extremes from The Yukon at minus 53 celcius and plus 43 degrees C in central BC. It was always "Stock". I could have got 200K out of it but traded it for a 2001 Bull (Stock). Any "Stock" Taurus can endure whatever you throw at it so long as yuou do basic maintenance. I couldn't kill the Bull considering what i'd put it through. My 1990 Bull never even threw a code. My 2001 Bull suffered 38 Deg C and only had a new DPFE inthe 5 yrs since I owned it.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
:D There's also a brainless bunch of Kids who post here who havn't got a clue about automotive concerns. They just want to burn their money on "Hip" Add-ons" and one Meggawatt Amplifiers and Fart-Box Exhausts, then they attack real advice from long time owners like me who was rebuilding engines when they were still in Pampers!!

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
Meggawatt Amplifier? Show me where I can get one!

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
QUOTE (toronut @ May 28 2009, 05:47 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=728673
:D There's also a brainless bunch of Kids who post here who havn't got a clue about automotive concerns. They just want to burn their money on "Hip" Add-ons" and one Meggawatt Amplifiers and Fart-Box Exhausts, then they attack real advice from long time owners like me who was rebuilding engines when they were still in Pampers!![/b]

I was out of Pampers in 1966. I don't own a fartcan or an amplifier. I saw no advice offered just some bitterness over God knows what. My fellow forum hounds who have fartcans and amplifiers, most have a clue. :tcca:

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
An aftermarket trans cooler does not fall in the same category as a fart can. This is not some 'fad' to make the car some pimped out gangsta ride. The transmissions on these cars, stock, are overheated, under-lubricated pieces of sh!t. 30k service intervals are a joke, and I'll do whatever I can to prolong the life of mine.

Much like:
-aux cooler
-15k service intervals
-TRANS PAN DRAINPLUG.

The Taurus automatic is well known for premature failure, even with regular maintenance. Just because YOURS haven't, doesn't mean countless others wont.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
QUOTE (FFVulcanPowah @ May 28 2009, 07:20 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=728690
An aftermarket trans cooler does not fall in the same category as a fart can. This is not some 'fad' to make the car some pimped out gangsta ride. The transmissions on these cars, stock, are overheated, under-lubricated pieces of sh!t. 30k service intervals are a joke, and I'll do whatever I can to prolong the life of mine.

Much like:
-aux cooler
-15k service intervals
-TRANS PAN DRAINPLUG.

The Taurus automatic is well known for premature failure, even with regular maintenance. Just because YOURS haven't, doesn't mean countless others wont.[/b]
Seconded. I'm tempted to kill someone.

Aux Trans Coolers are a MUST on these transmissions. Look at mine. Its in Pieces in my garage. I'll take some pics tonight. (i've dumped 3500 Dollars into this ###### transmission. Obviously SOMETHING IS WRONG.

Its a FILTER. Ask for a screen at the Ford Desk their gonna look at you like a dumbass.

There is no drain plug because Uneducated DIY's would mistake it with the oil pan. Not just that but you should replace the filter every fluid change.

Also, 5w-30 in places that get Hot. 5w-20 in other places. Synthetic is the best period.

My trans was serviced every 30k, with the exception when my parents drove it 20k over and handed it to me.
If you want proof these transmissions overheat.. i'll take a picture of my trans temperature gauge MAXED OUT (over 280 degrees). BTW, Normal ATF breaks down at 250 Degrees. Synthetics, IDK.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
:huh: This Technical issue? Send the question to Ford. Theyve told you ages ago, don't ask me , and don't ask the TCCA , ask Mr FORD.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts