Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With my Gen 2 cooler, the stock tube and no radiator cooler ATX cooling set up the temps are too low here in the winter. I cannot get them above 120F and the PCM is looking for warmer fluid to go full performance mod.

So I got a PermaCool oil t-stat. So far it has done well maintaining the ~185F rating and don't doubt that it can maintain that. My concern is the summer as it may cause overheating when the car is stressed.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Im still looking for one that opens at ~130F. If I ever do, going to have it bypass through the stock cooler and when the turbo cool is needed, through the monster cooler.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I know my 01 notices that it is not heating up. Last week I drove 30 miles through hills and it didn't lock up the torque converter
[/b]
That's why it never locks up right when I start off in the freezing cold... Didn't know that.

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
Normal driving it will unlock easily until the temp gauge is near horizontal (probably around 10 miles or so when it is aroud 30-40 outside) to warm up the trans fluid and you will notice the RPMs go down and the TC will remain locked when you add the accelerator.

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
I was looking at the Permacool online.

It has four ports. I would have expected a 3 port Y.

How do you plumb that in.

Mike
:dunno:

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
Link?

Is 185 an optimal temp for trans fluid? What's the thermostat look like, could you open it up and modify it, maybe weakening the spring so it opens earlier somehow?

Maybe plumb 2 coolers in, one really small and a large one hooked up to the oil thermostat, so if the fluid temp goes over 185 the large cooler becomes active?

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
I was looking at the Permacool online.

It has four ports. I would have expected a 3 port Y.

How do you plumb that in.

Mike
:dunno: [/b]
Perma-Cool Oil T-Stat

Thermostat
Out to cooler || In from transmission
In from cooler || Out to transmission

Link?

Is 185 an optimal temp for trans fluid? What's the thermostat look like, could you open it up and modify it, maybe weakening the spring so it opens earlier somehow?

Maybe plumb 2 coolers in, one really small and a large one hooked up to the oil thermostat, so if the fluid temp goes over 185 the large cooler becomes active? [/b]
I've read that the ideal transmission temperature tange is 175-225F

Automatic Transmission Care

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
If there's no other options out there for different temperatures I'd do this if it where my car and I was worried about summer heat.

I'd plumb up the bypass side of the thermostat with a small cooler so that the trans is kept cool enough in the winter but is still warm enough to allow for proper operation with TC lockup. On the cooler side of the thermostat I'd plumb in a large stacked plate cooler that will be able to handle the demands of aggressive driving and summer heat. The fluid is definately going to heat up past 180 unless you hook up a rediculous cooler, but it would still get past that temperature even if the tstat opened up at 140, it'd just take longer to get up there, if you get what I'm trying to say.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So why the aversion to 180F oil? If you were really serious about it get an adjustable thermocupler t-stat and a 12v solenoid valve. ~$100.00

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Normal driving it will unlock easily until the temp gauge is near horizontal (probably around 10 miles or so when it is aroud 30-40 outside) to warm up the trans fluid and you will notice the RPMs go down and the TC will remain locked when you add the accelerator.
[/b]
The latter part is what made me think my trans was dieing or RPM gauge went.

Isn't sooner lockup and less unlock a good thing though? And less heat as well?

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The TC with stock programming will unlock due to increased load, if you use the brakes, if the AC compressor comes on or if the throttle angle changes by x amount. These are the changes I see and I'm sure there are a lot more.

There definitely are spark and fuel tables that use the TOT sender. The cold start transmission mode too runs off this.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts