Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to know if it's better to put a mineral oil or a synthetic one.
also i want to know if there's alcohol in the Tranny oil.
And if some one have a recomedition about a brand i want to know, i have the option to buy an AC delco, what should be written on it? Mercon or something?

Thank you very much, Roy.

·
Registered
953 Posts
And if some one have a recomedition about a brand i want to know, i have the option to buy an AC delco, what should be written on it? Mercon or something?

[/b]

Are you talking about Dino oil (instead of mineral)? I didn't know that ATF came in anything other than Synthetic.

You need to have Mercon V.

Don't really have a recommendation on brand, wouldn't go too cheap of a brand though it is your tranny!

·
Registered
2,449 Posts

[/b]
Which tranny are you interested in, about fluid????

Best to use the recipe fluid thats designed & specified for a paricular tranny, so it's compatable with the tranny band friction material, seals, gaskets, plastic components, metals & has the correct coefficint of friction.

If your asking about fluid for your 93 Taurus, it likely has "XT-2-QDX Mercon" specified & Ford/Motorcraft no longer markets or licenses this "Mercon" recipe.

Ford modified the origional XT-5-QMC Mercon-V recipe in 06, in TSB-06-14-4, to make it a "dual use fluid XT-5-QM", which is now the "new Mercon/Mercon-V" recipe and is now compatable with former XT-2-QDX Mercon fluid call outs.

Most premium brand mineral tranny base fluids are group-2, or 3, or some mix there-of.

These highly refined mineral oil base fluids are about as good as "full" synthetic fluids & Motorcraft Mercon-V is a simi-synthetic fluid, of very good quality, which is designed for our Ford tranny.

Not sure which AC/Delco fluid your referring to, but if it says on the container that it meets Fords specs for old "Mercon XT-2-QDX ", or the new dual use "Mercon-5 XT-5-QM" spec, it should be ok to use.

Almost any "full" synthetic, PAO, Ester, ect base tranny fluid, that meets Fords XT-5-QM specification, would be good to use if your drive cycles fall into the "severe service" category, as they can stand up to heat better, without beginning to oxidize & break down to form gum, varnish & sludge deposits, which can lead to shifting problems, wear & band friction material problems.

But ALL tranny fluids & filters needs to be changed out on time, to the manfacturers maintenance call out for the drive cycle service catagory we fall into.

Some tranny fluid thoughts for pondering.

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]

Are you talking about Dino oil (instead of mineral)? I didn't know that ATF came in anything other than Synthetic.

Don't really have a recommendation on brand, wouldn't go too cheap of a brand though it is your tranny!
[/b][/quote]

He has a 93, He can use Dexron/Mercon III. Get it for 8 bucks a gallon, thats what Ive been using for 2 years and been fine.

But if you plan on flushing the entire transmission, id go with Mercon V if you want it to last, its synthetic and backspeced to work with D/M. Its expencive though.

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
It's Dexron III/Mercon, not Dexron/Mercon III. And not all Mercon V is full synthetic.
[/b]
eh same difference, no such thing as what I said but the idea got across.

and really? i was under the impression it was. learned somthin new.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]

[/b][/quote]

He has a 93, He can use Dexron/Mercon III. Get it for 8 bucks a gallon, thats what Ive been using for 2 years and been fine.

But if you plan on flushing the entire transmission, id go with Mercon V if you want it to last, its synthetic and backspeced to work with D/M. Its expencive though.
[/b][/quote]

First of all i wanna thank everyone who answered me:)
Second, 8 dollars per galon? maybe in the states...here it's much more expensive, but it worth it i think...

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

First of all i wanna thank everyone who answered me:)
Second, 8 dollars per galon? maybe in the states...here it's much more expensive, but it worth it i think...
[/b][/quote]

make sure what your looking at is somthing like Universal D/M ATF. If it says Mercon V on the bottel, it will work like stated before, its just much more expensive.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts

[/b]
You live in a hot climate like mine here in Texas, I would use a synthetic ATF becouse it maintains viscosity and protects better in high heat. I use Mobil 1 ATF in mine, just make sure it says it works with Mercon fluids, most synthetics do.

·
Registered
128 Posts
if you have access to Napa, they have Valvoline Mercon V fully synthetic for $3.49 per quart. Beast deal I could find.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts