Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just the other day when I exited the highway, it sounded like a small explosion of parts from underneath the car. Couldn't find anything under it but when I got back in the car and started driving it, the car was making a new humming/grinding kind of noise.

The noise is only there when your driving then let your foot off the gas pedel. When you press the gas again, the noise goes away. I am 95% sure its in my tranny because it has NO symptons of a wheel bearing which was my original thought.

What in the transmission would be causing this and how long do I have before the rest of the tranny goes?
Thank you for your help and insight.

'96 Taurus GL Wagon

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
If you think it is the transmission, drop the pan and see what you find. How does the fluid look?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fluid and Filter replaced (again) about 2k miles ago. All new and Fresh. Kept having a leaking pan gasket so I replaced the fluid 3 times including the original complete fluid change. I did have a solid piece/chunk of metal in my pan that time but nothing since. looked like it had been chewed up somewhere but it drove fine. Ignorance I suppose.

Not sure which direction I am going to go with this car. Not worth the money to rebuild the tranny and too much money in the motor to call it quits... Just installed new heads, timing chain, all gaskets and seals, WP, Radiator... to much to list in the past few months. Kinda got a bad taste in my mouth

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No pick, about 3/4 inch long and 1/4 inch thick maybe... Its been a couple of months.

Could it be the the pump shaft support bearing? I am only getting noise when I let off the gas pedal. I do know that it is an AX4N tranny. If I can get away with replacing the bearing and saving the rest of the tranny then I probably won't drive it till it dies which I have kinda decided to do.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
If it's part of the pump shaft, you can pull the valve body from the trans without dropping the sub frame. Then you can replace the pump, and save the trans without having to do a full rebuild. That happend when I had the '93 Taurus, after the valve body rebuild, that axod-e tranny lasted over 200k. I had a shop do it, they charged around $600 for that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts