Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, im starting to have a pretty big problem with my 97 taurus. It only has about 52,000 miles on it but for the last 7k ive been driving it pretty hard. Anyways, i get the turn on knock i think, when i turn the key and it wants to start but then quits and makes a knocking sound...but then will start the next try. Also, at WOT my car doesnt like to shift into 2nd...itll kind hang out at around 5500 RPM's and then itll bounc back and for between 54 and 57 hundred for a second or two before going back down, but only back down to like 3500, then it goes back up until it shifts into 3rd...then theres no problem. also, i think it skips in the 1-2 shift, like going around a turn if i get to the shift point my car literally vibrates or skips along for a second before shifting. I wanna blame the unusual cold, im in philly....but what could the problem be
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
anybody??

I dont want my car dying on my next trip...that would suck tremendous balls. Also it sounds like somethings rattling under my car...i dunno what it could be my new exhaust but i doubt it, could that have something to do with the transmission too?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
425 Posts
Get the transmission flushed. If you know a mechanic, have them do a test drive and check the codes and/or have them pull the transmission codes. The test is a little more complicated than an EEC diagnostic, but it worth checking into. You don't want to drive your car much more without doing something asap. It sounds like your tranny is starting to take a dump.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok, realistically here...i could just let the tranny crap out on me. And then, what kind of price difference am i looking at between a tranny rebuild, buying a new car or doing an engine swap and modifications to throw a 5-speed in there. Cuz if my tranny is gonna crap out on me i mine as well keep the car ive put so much money in and make it even more fun by converting it to a manual transmission. Is that feasible? What kind of pricetag am i looking at there
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what about disconnecting the battery and letting the ECU reset....could it be that its a malfunction with the ECU and resetting will allow it to fix itself?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,458 Posts
Originally posted by Ezekiel81923@Jan 21 2004, 10:31 PM
what about disconnecting the battery and letting the ECU reset....could it be that its a malfunction with the ECU and resetting will allow it to fix itself?
Can't hurt to try.

I don't know much about problems with the ATX, b/c all of mine have been good to me <knocks wood> but I think you should brace yourself for a $1500-2000 ATX rebuild just to be safe. Make sure whoever rebuilds it installs the TransGo shift kit. If you really want a top-quality rebuild, I would stay away from AAMCO and other chain shops. It's not that they are bad, just that we have sensitive trannies, and these guys aren't always the experts. For an off-the-shelf unit that will be reliable and comes with a warranty, check out Jasper. If you go into the online catalog, they have a list of all the problem areas they address and what they do to correct them.

Personally, I would spend the extra coin and get a performance rebuild from FPS or SHOFast. I think they both start out at over $2000 for the rebuild with shift kit and fixes for all the known deficiencies. In fact, you might as well get on the phone with one of them (or both) and just start describing your problems. I have spoken with Brad at SHOFast Performance and he was very helpful in letting me know all my rebuild options, based on what my performance upgrade plans were. He told me about the upgraded TC options, LSD (which I will definitely be getting) and so on. It all adds up pretty fast, but it's still cheaper than getting AAMCO to do it twice.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,458 Posts
Originally posted by mikehawk@Jan 22 2004, 10:47 AM
How can it be cheaper than AAMCO doing it twice?  I thought they had a lifetime warranty on their work?
AAMCO's automatic transmission warranty varies from 12 months to 36K/36 months to lifetime DEPENDING ON APPLICATION. I really doubt they would give you a lifetime warranty on a FWD Ford application.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
I have had similar experiences like Ezekiel81923.

My Gen IV has only 35,200 miles on it, and on three different occasions, I have noticed my tranny gets confused when I make a u-turn in the cold... it feels like it goes from 1st to 3rd to "neutral" and then into 2nd. I hope it is just a quirk and nothing serious.

I also have a weird rattling noise that comes from under my car. I have been told that the inside of the catalytic converter is ceramic. Sometimes the ceramic thing can break a little and these ceramic pieces vibrate and make noise. It is very annoying!!!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
425 Posts
Originally posted by justmack@Jan 22 2004, 06:55 PM
I have had similar experiences like Ezekiel81923.

My Gen IV has only 35,200 miles on it, and on three different occasions, I have noticed my tranny gets confused when I make a u-turn in the cold... it feels like it goes from 1st to 3rd to "neutral" and then into 2nd. I hope it is just a quirk and nothing serious.

I also have a weird rattling noise that comes from under my car. I have been told that the inside of the catalytic converter is ceramic. Sometimes the ceramic thing can break a little and these ceramic pieces vibrate and make noise. It is very annoying!!!
That's really odd that you are experiencing tranny related problems already, but it is a Ford AX4N. It's very sensitive.

It sounds like you have a power band problem. At 35k miles, you are still under warrenty. Take it in and ask for a rebuild and tranny flush. Your deductible should cover it all.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
however at 52k miles im not under warranty anymore am i? Goody
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
425 Posts
Originally posted by Ezekiel81923@Jan 23 2004, 10:48 AM
however at 52k miles im not under warranty anymore am i? Goody
Unlikely. Unless you bought an extended warrenty, Ford warrenties only last 3 years or 36,000 miles.

I can't remember where I heard this (possibly through my insurance company), but I've heard of people winning the debate that all auto manufactures, including Ford are to maintain a 10 year 100,000 mile warrenty on the power train. That includes the transmission. Check it out. Ford dealerships will deny that it's covered, but some have fought it and won and Ford did pay for service on their transmission...minus the deductable.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
more news....now after it warms up itll take two or three tries to get it to shift into 1st gear, it just skips and vibrates the car. Also its starting to shift when the car is stopped...i guess from second to first after ive already stopped. Also, after it shifts the rpms shoot up another 1000 before heading back down, and then its almost an immediate shift from there. Oh and finally...something REEEEKS hardcore after i drive the car for a short time
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
oh well....transmission kicked today...while i was trying to get on I-76, got the rpms a little high and after that i had nothin except for 1st gear up to 3000 rpms
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
425 Posts
Originally posted by Ezekiel81923@Jan 24 2004, 01:38 PM
more news....now after it warms up itll take two or three tries to get it to shift into 1st gear, it just skips and vibrates the car. Also its starting to shift when the car is stopped...i guess from second to first after ive already stopped. Also, after it shifts the rpms shoot up another 1000 before heading back down, and then its almost an immediate shift from there. Oh and finally...something REEEEKS hardcore after i drive the car for a short time
That smell is burnt transmission oil.

I can't believe you tried to go on the freeway after I told you to have it serviced. Sounds like you are going to need that overhaul.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i had to take it and my car was the only one around...i had no choice, i was just praying it wouldnt die. At least it kicked right as i got on the interstate instead of waiting till i got into philly....ma and pa wouldve loved that
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1600 for rebuild....should i go ahead and put out another couple hundred for a shift kit?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
425 Posts
Originally posted by Ezekiel81923@Jan 27 2004, 04:31 PM
1600 for rebuild....should i go ahead and put out another couple hundred for a shift kit?
You are better off buying an already rebuilt transmission. I've seen them listed for $500 on ebay. All you need to do is pay for the removal and installation of your tranny. That may run you $400 to $500. I would look around first.
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top