Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, It wasn't that long ago that I came here and asked for advice on my 97 Taurus's Tranny woes. The issue was it would go about 2 ft and then Free Rev in Drive. Only Reverse worked. Neighborhood mechanic said we should start shopping for a new tranny or rebuild this one $1500+...

Well, being the tinker'er that I am. I discovered a large Connector on top of the Tranny right next to the Gear Selector linkage. If I unplug that harness. I can drive the car Just fine but it wont' shift to 2nd gear.

Now that I found a work around to get the car up to Autozone so I could get the Codes Scanned it came up with a problem on the Shift Solenoid but of course they didn't carry one.

So... It looked as if that Sensor would just pop out so I got on it with the Channel locks and messed up the Pins.. I know.. I know.. Smart Move huh!. Well I thought, who cares I'm going to replace it anyway so what if the pins are broke off, etc. Well.. I finally got that Socket to Pop up.. Only to find out that it's got a Wire harness hard wired into it from the bottom and it disappears somewhere down in the tranny.

Anyone know how difficult it is to replace the Shift Noids and Wiring harness?

Appreciate any advice.. I'm thinking now the tranny is definitely going to have to be pulled from the car just to do that work.. Hopefully I can take it to a Tranny place that can fix it a lot cheaper than a full Rebuild.

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
AFAIK, the solenoids are deep inside the trans. You need to pull the trans and take it apart, so you might as well have it rebuilt. IMO, the rebuild won't be much more $$$ than replacing the solenoids, and if one or more solenoids are shot, it's probably almost time for a full rebuild anyway.

B

·
0 Posts
The 1-2 shift solenoid was the main problem with these cars. SixFo's right, they are inside the trans, and you need to take it apart to get to them. May as well rebuild it while you're in there. Most times when the solenoid goes, it takes something else along with it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help guys!. I don't feel as bad for breaking that connector if I'm still no better off. Well that stinks.. I was hoping the Noids would be something I could easily get to and swap out.

I was hoping for the best and did a Filter/Fluid change yesterday.. The Fluid was Nassssstyyyyyyyy!. It looked like motor oil.. All black and sooty looking.. Nothing like the clean red Mercon fluid I put back in it. Although it didn't help one bit I was hopeful but ahh shoot.. Guess I'll face the music and start shopping for the best price.

Thanks again and have a Merry Christmas folks!

-Brian.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts