Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week the trans started acting up and we noticed that almost all the trans fluid was gone. So we to the car to ford and they said that the Pan gasket had blown and all the fluid leaked. We had a trans overhaul done (escentially 90K service was done.) We pick up the car and it rides find until yesterday when it started slipping again. Then I assume the pan gasket went again cause a huge puddle of fluid was on the ground and the car would not go back into gear until 2 qts of fluid were added. So what's the deal anyone know???

G

·
It's a little odd that the pan gasket would keep going like that, if it is gone again. Is that definitely where the leak is coming from this time?

And is this on your car Wes? That has the new trans, right?

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Nah, this is my oldest sister's car. It was my dads. It's a 97 LX. Duratec. I don't know the tranny code right now. Car's got around 80K miles on it IIRC.

What about the seals from the torque converter? Is there anything in that vacinity that is likely to leak and drip down on the pan?

We can't move it if it's been leaking. You can throw a quart or two of oil in and it'll move again, so I assume the fluid is leaking out of the torque converter too. I just don't know if the fluid leaks out of the pan and then the torque converter leaks into the transmission caseing, or if it is likely that the torque converter itself is leaking.

The stealership itself did the work apparently, so I'd assume we can just take it back and tell them the junk ain't fixed.

-Dan

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hmmm...your situation reminds me of my situation. My 97 Taurus (33K miles, AT, Duratec engine) is at the Ford place right now. A few weeks ago, the transmission slipped for the first time (no leaking). I had the trans. fluid changed and the filter cleaned at my local Ford dealership. Everything seemed fine while driving around town going back and forth to work.

Last Friday, I was heading to Dallas and after driving about a 100 miles, I felt O/D gear slip. I disabled O/D but I noticed that I was losing power in 3rd gear too. I was forced to drive in second gear (manually shifted it to second) and drove it to the nearest Ford place (which is in Waco).

At first, I was told that I lost almost three quarts of fluid and may need a new transmission ($2500). Later I learned that there was no metal shavings in the pan so it is probably my torque converter ($1000 job). Today, I am told that I might just need a new gasket and new fluid but the converter will be pulled and checked to make sure its still good ($750).

Here's my question...should I have the torque converter replaced even if the Ford place thinks its still good? Something is causing the problem and I never had any leaks (not even a drop) until Friday. I hate to have to spend a bunch of money later when it could be done right this time. Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
The dealer just told my dad it has "major problems". Today and quoted him a new tranny. I don't know what "Major Problems" mean, so I don't know if the stealership is full of it or not.

-Dan

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
I wonder if I can transplant the engine into my truck....

G

·
Originally posted by Wessy@Aug 31 2004, 09:27 PM
Bob if this were my car again I would just run it into a wall and collect insurace! :lol2:
That's sorta what I was thinking. :lol:

Dan, from the sounds of what you're describing for the leak, it could be the output shaft seal. Brad's went too, and looked like it was a major leak.

This is going to sound wacked out and unorthodox, but it's been working for Brad for quite some time now. It's a trick I learned from an old timer to swell seals and make them seal again.

Before refilling the trans, add about 2 teaspoons of brake fluid to the tranny. Then fill to the proper level and drive it. The brake fluid will swell the seal, and should stop the leak if that's your problem.

If all else fails, I'll be happy to install a 5-speed in it for you. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts