Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1994 ford Taurus GL. My tranny slips a little going from 1-2, and 3-4, and I heard there are some products that help reduce and sometimes eliminate the slipping. The aamco guys said its got prolly another 30,000, but its annoying that it slips, so I was wondering what the name of these products are. I heard lubeguard in one of the posts, is that the actual name? I know this sounds like a stupid question, but I want to make sure I don't buy the wrong stuff and have the tranny drop out the bottom on the highway. Thank you for anyone who replies.

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
Originally posted by mrclean@Jan 4 2004, 09:10 PM
I have a 1994 ford Taurus GL. My tranny slips a little going from 1-2, and 3-4, and I heard there are some products that help reduce and sometimes eliminate the slipping. The aamco guys said its got prolly another 30,000, but its annoying that it slips, so I was wondering what the name of these products are. I heard lubeguard in one of the posts, is that the actual name? I know this sounds like a stupid question, but I want to make sure I don't buy the wrong stuff and have the tranny drop out the bottom on the highway. Thank you for anyone who replies.
my taurus (inherited from uncle) was in really good shape when i got it. I am however, a speed freak so I began to beat it up. Lately, (after 3,000 miles I put on it) i have noticed that the car makes a slight "jerk" sometimes shifting from 1st to 2nd gear (3rd and 4th are fine). So, I used the prolong treatement and the slipping /jerking has stopped for now (whew...) Hope this thing can hold up for anohter 5 years, or until I get my new car

So, yeah to answer your question, try Prolong or Lubguard Transmission treatment product, you should be fine

·
Registered
379 Posts
Lucas tranny additive tightens up sloppy shifts very nicely.

·
Registered
187 Posts
at this point, start saving for a new tranny. I mean, sure, the fluids will help for a while, but the damage is already done. If you do get a new tranny, you can get a few internals strengthened, and also get a shift kit put in. wont make the labour times change much, as they should already have the thing apart.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Originally posted by Alex_Perry@Jan 5 2004, 12:13 PM
at this point, start saving for a new tranny. I mean, sure, the fluids will help for a while, but the damage is already done. If you do get a new tranny, you can get a few internals strengthened, and also get a shift kit put in. wont make the labour times change much, as they should already have the thing apart.
Agreed. Additives like Lucas and Lubegard, etc. will work pretty well for a while and allow you to get some more miles out of your tranny, but they are really just band-aids, not a legitimate fix, for a tranny that is on the decline.

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
Originally posted by rockledge+Jan 5 2004, 11:47 AM-->QUOTE (rockledge @ Jan 5 2004, 11:47 AM)
<!--QuoteBegin-Alex_Perry
@Jan 5 2004, 12:13 PM
Agreed. Additives like Lucas and Lubegard, etc. will work pretty well for a while and allow you to get some more miles out of your tranny, but they are really just band-aids, not a legitimate fix, for a tranny that is on the decline. [/b]
How much does it take to replace or FIX the tranny (which ever is cheaper)

please help me out with an estimate. thanks

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
I just pulled the bill for my 94 Gl out of my desk.

Complete tranny overhaul, all new motor and transmission mounts, and new axles

everything had 246K on it.

$1587.87 with a 12K 12 month warranty.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Originally posted by mwt@Jan 5 2004, 02:05 PM
I just pulled the bill for my 94 Gl out of my desk.

Complete tranny overhaul, all new motor and transmission mounts, and new axles

everything had 246K on it.

$1587.87 with a 12K 12 month warranty.
That'a a good price for all that.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know that lubeguard and stuff like that only work for awhile, but I bought this car on the idea that the tranny and engine were in good shape. However the pictures were at a perfect angle where you couldn't see the clearcoar peeling(bough off auction). but, at this point, the paint is pretty bad, and the motor isn't 100% either. So I'm saving for a new car, not new tranny, but if this will fix the slips and slams for awhile, I'll do it.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Also, I had the tranny fluid replaced a couple thousand miles ago, since the guy before me prolly hadn't changed it for a looooonnnnnng time considering the aamco guys were like, wow, that was some old fluid in that tranny, so I know it didn't help the fact its the original tranny at 168k. I just want this thing to make it through the winter and I'm prolly gonna buy a much better shape taurus, preferably an SHO.

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Originally posted by mrclean@Jan 5 2004, 04:05 PM
I know that lubeguard and stuff like that only work for awhile, but I bought this car on the idea that the tranny and engine were in good shape. However the pictures were at a perfect angle where you couldn't see the clearcoar peeling(bough off auction). but, at this point, the paint is pretty bad, and  the motor isn't 100% either.  So I'm saving for a new car, not new tranny, but if this will fix the slips and slams for awhile, I'll do it.
Can't hurt (probably
) Plus, your talking, at a bare minimum, $1200 to get the tranny fixed. Another option is to swap in a used tranny that works... and of course, most junk yard trannies are just that--JUNK!

I hope you didn't get hosed at the auction. Your best bet would probably be to sell it now, before the tranny gets worse. Or, you could wait until it blows, donate it to charity, and at least get something back for it. When you donate, you fill out a tax form, and the charity that takes the car will have the car appraised. Then you put the appraisal value on the tax form, submit it with your taxes, and "voila!" you get that much back with your tax refund. That's how I plan to get rid of my '92 with the leaky head gasket and blown heater core.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I mean it was I believe 700 dollars for the car, but in the pictures, the car looked better than it really was in real life, he took it in the perfect light to hide it. I mean, I'm just gonna drive it till it goes basically, or if I find a good deal on an SHO or something, I'll sell this thing, get hopefully as much as I paid for it, or I'll accept less if I have to. but for the next couple months, I'm sure this will do, I don't want to bother with pulling the tranny and puttin another in there, its too much money, on a car I'm not gonna be keeping for another year. So the way I figure it, if this lubeguard gets me a couple months with the tranny shifting much cleaner, I'll go for that.

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
$700 for a '94GL is not bad, even with high miles. I was quoted (unofficially) $1000 tax deduction for my '92 w/199K miles, if you ignore the headgasket and heater core problems. Those two problems will probably cut it down to $500. I would guess you should be able to get $500 even if your tranny goes, assuming everything else is OK. So, if my numbers check out (again, don't take it for gospel) you'll be paying $200 to drive the thing until it dies. Not bad, IMO.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Maybe donating the car isn't a bad idea, but for now, I'll drive it till the wheels fall off basically. Thanks for the idea, if I get more money back on my tax return, I don't have any arguments with that.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I've said this before, but you should try Auto-Rx.

It worked really well on my Gen3 and you get your money back if you don't think it worked for you.

Resolved a lot of little problems I had and now it shifts like new.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts