Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
I Drive A Fuze
3,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hey guys, new to the forum and tauruses. I have a 2004 SEL with 43k on the clock, second owner, to my knowledge the tranny fluid is original. Do I need to change the tranny fluid? I know the manual says every 30k but i want your opinion. I hear that these need to be changed on time but i have also heard that changing the fluid can also potentially cause problems. I know there are a million other threads about transmission fluid changes, but none of them really answered this for me. Thanks!

Also, how should the shift quality be? should i feel the shifts at moderate acceleration, or should they be unnoticeable? i do feel them slightly i guess unless im taking it real slow..

·
Spend my 02¢ wisely...
2,337 Posts
Welcome 04 SEL, and to answer your question: YES!!!

Refer to the proper flush procedure in the topic finder. The only time it is a bad idea to change your tranny fluid is with a power flush machine. Also, never use any flush chemicals or solvents.

I change my fluid and filter religiously every 30k-40k miles, and at 168k my tranny still shifts like it's brand new. Some people like to go a little longer, but I wouldn't try it without synthetic fluid and an axillary cooler.

·
Registered
23,578 Posts
^+1. Use mercon v atf and reinstall the oem reusable pan gasket. Replace the filter, too. As stated above, click on the topic finder at the top of this page and scroll down to: Transmissions. Tutorial should be in this section.

·
Registered
10,939 Posts
hey guys, new to the forum and tauruses. I have a 2004 SEL with 43k on the clock, second owner, to my knowledge the tranny fluid is original. Do I need to change the tranny fluid? I know the manual says every 30k but i want your opinion. I hear that these need to be changed on time but i have also heard that changing the fluid can also potentially cause problems. I know there are a million other threads about transmission fluid changes, but none of them really answered this for me. Thanks!

Also, how should the shift quality be? should i feel the shifts at moderate acceleration, or should they be unnoticeable? i do feel them slightly i guess unless im taking it real slow..

Many opinions, but my experience.

My '02 Lin Cont was done under warrenty as they did all the maint for first 35K miles. They changed the fluid and filter at 35K. That is the factory plan. No flush just filter and replace what is in the pan. At 35K the fluid should be like new anyway. Trans in the lin same as Taurus/Sable except for increased power handling but same thing.

My '01 DOHC had 111K when I did the first filter change. Since it was way late, I refilled and then after a few days sucked the pan fluid out and refilled. Now about 75% new fluid 25% old. Used Mercon V as book says.
The gunk in the pan was very minor and I just wiped it out and used the same gasket. I did tell a difference in the firmness of the shifts. You should be feeling the shifts firm with this trans. Back in the day, with the Essex trans (3.8L) the trans was programmed to be slow draggy and no feeling to the shift. I had 4 of this type. I disliked the slow shift and sometimes engine rpm increase on shifting. Dragging shifts make heat and wear. They did not have good luck with this. I had the '91 Lin replaced under warrenty. Slip, slip slide slush, shudder. Firm is good. :rolleyes2:

I did my '03 with 80K and on original fluid and post a pic of the pan here. Fluid only slightly dark, little stuff in the trans. It was a used car so not sure about history but the filter was dated "3" and original equip so I am sure original. Did not look bad at all in my op. Change of fluid made no difference in this car. Shifts were firm before and after.

Now, from experience, if you ever had a trans with torq conv shudder, you will really appreciate a frim lockup. Shudder is terminal. It only gets worse and feels like rumble strips at speed. Been there, done that.:angry:

So change the filter, pan fluid, use Mercon V, and you will last a very long time. If you really want your car to last, follow the book in all things listed. Filters, and such. Especially the PCV as that can ruin the engine.

-chart-

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I replaced mine within 30k of buying mine. It's 154k and still strong. It isn't urgent to skip 1k or more if you have no problems and the fluid still looks great.

But I also have a new problem. I reused the OEM gasket and not the one I got in the filter kit. Now the back end is [very very] slowly leaking. It's annoying as hell since I used a torque wrench and cleaned and sealed the gasket so it has to be a problem I didn't cause I hope. Just make sure your gasket doesn't have any problems otherwise you'd be like me lol.

·
Premium Member
14,356 Posts
I replaced mine within 30k of buying mine. It's 154k and still strong. It isn't urgent to skip 1k or more if you have no problems and the fluid still looks great.

But I also have a new problem. I reused the OEM gasket and not the one I got in the filter kit. Now the back end is [very very] slowly leaking. It's annoying as hell since I used a torque wrench and cleaned and sealed the gasket so it has to be a problem I didn't cause I hope. Just make sure your gasket doesn't have any problems otherwise you'd be like me lol.
And make sure the pan is as straight as can be or you'll end up with sealing issues like me(whoever did the service in mine before I bought it torqued the crap out the bolts and bent the bolt holes) before I took the pan out and spent about 2 hours straightening it out. Not a drip now B)

·
I Drive A Fuze
3,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks everyone, very informative. i guess i will go to the local dealer and have them do it really soon, so i know it is done right.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
thanks everyone, very informative. i guess i will go to the local dealer and have them do it really soon, so i know it is done right.
:lol2: dealer... done right..... i have only said that 2x in my life. murphy follows me though. :rolleyes2:

·
I Drive A Fuze
3,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well i am not going to do it myself this time even though i would like to...(no time, bad weather) better to go to my mechanic?

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
im not saying they will mess up your car. i am sorry if thats how i came across. they will use the correct fluid and filter. you should have no problem using them. just check the fluid level before you leave and make sure it was filled correctly.
i am speaking from personal experience with the dealers i have dealt with. I always seem to end up fixing the problem i have with my cars because the dealer can't find it.

·
I Drive A Fuze
3,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
no don't worry about it you didnt...there is a pretty reputable dealer in the next town over, ill probably check them out and their prices, don't want to give them an arm and a leg lol

·
I Drive A Fuze
3,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Looking back on my old threads and realized I never updated this one. Had it done by my go-to shop, I think they dropped the pan and changed that fluid and filter, but they used a generic fluid and then an additive to make it Mercon V (which i still am not happy about), so I will probably do it myself next time if I am feeling ambitious with the help of the do it yourself thread here. It's been 6k, so maybe I will do that when the fluid hits 20k. Hooray for reviving an eight month old thread!

·
Exalted Grand Poobah
4,770 Posts
Hey Ben, too bad you didn't own that car 30 years ago although the following would have required time travel I guess. Down where Dewey St came out under the railroad bridge onto US-20, (right near where you grew up) if you turned left headed back toward downtown West Side there was an Esso (Exxon now) station on the right, Charlie's Esso. Charlie Pignatari and his son did bang-up work on every car we owned when we lived there. Transmissions were their specialty. They used to give my dad a price break because Junior had a crush on my sister and he didn't even have a seeing-eye dog, either. I remember them because when my Corsa needed service, old man Charlie gave me a long discourse on why he didn't use air tools. He loved finesse.

·
I Drive A Fuze
3,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
if you're headed into West Side, it's on the right after the railroad bridge? Just over the bridge and sitting next to the railroad tracks? Because there was another repair shop before the bridge. Thats where I go, the one over the bridge, it's called Kuhnels Auto Repair now. Anything I can't do in my yard goes to them.

·
Registered
23,578 Posts
Ben, the shop probably used Lubegard green to convert mercon/dexron lll atf to mercon v atf. A lot of shops do to avoid carrying so many types of atf. Also cheaper in the long run.

·
I Drive A Fuze
3,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It's not inferior?

·
Exalted Grand Poobah
4,770 Posts
No, Charlie's was on the river side of Route 20 just as soon as you pulled out onto it from Dewey - a feat of bravery itself, most times - before the bridge OVER the rail tracks. If you started around the uphill left over the bridge, then down the other side you've gone too far. Charlie's was even before you got to Charles Ave. at the bridge.

·
I Drive A Fuze
3,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No, Charlie's was on the river side of Route 20 just as soon as you pulled out onto it from Dewey - a feat of bravery itself, most times - before the bridge OVER the rail tracks. If you started around the uphill left over the bridge, then down the other side you've gone too far. Charlie's was even before you got to Charles Ave. at the bridge.
Oh, ok I know the building you are talking about. A few years ago it was a repair shop, then a landscaping company owned it, and I'm not sure whats going on with it now.

·
Registered
23,578 Posts
^ Dunno. I personally use mercon v atf not having a shop, but if mixed in the proper ratio, you should be fine.

·
I Drive A Fuze
3,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
^ Dunno. I personally use mercon v atf not having a shop, but if mixed in the proper ratio, you should be fine.
Yeah now that I think about it...they would't use something that's going to trash a transmission which would make them liable...and guaranteed it's not the first Taurus they've done this on. I trust them, that's why they get my business! :lol2:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts