Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Any good write-ups about it? I don't seem to find any. I don't want to go at this small project without a idea where Im going to start. Note that I still haven't looked for the lines at all... so I may just be over reacting.

SableSal

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Sablesal,

Dont get that piece of crap tube one.

Goto www.bulkpart.com

Look under hayden transmission coolers

get model # 1403? or smaller.

cost will be about 33 shipped

More cooling than you will ever need.

Installation is EZ.

-Damon

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I happen to have two of those Hayden 1403's laying around (brand new). If you're interested, PM me. :)

·
Premium Member
14,127 Posts
I currently have a Hayden 1269 (1240) swirl-cool oil cooler and a Hayden 403 (1403) connected in series with my OEM chintzy tube cooler. I have the ATX cooler to the radiator disconnected. I am replacing the 403 with the 679. Don't say that it is more cooling than you need. Kind of like hard drive space or computer memory. :)

While traveling through the mountains and desert at +85 mph and when going up the grades my tranny temp still got up to ~245F with the above three coolers connected.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by duratecchie@Jul 25 2004, 10:28 AM
Sablesal,

Dont get that piece of crap tube one.

Goto www.bulkpart.com

Look under hayden transmission coolers

get model # 1403? or smaller.

cost will be about 33 shipped

More cooling than you will ever need.

Installation is EZ.

-Damon
Thanks Damon,

And to all who have replied with suggestions. Im thinking Im going to go with a Hayden Tranny Cooler. Model? Not too sure yet. More suggestions would be awesome. Keep em coming! Also, installation... anyone have pics of the install in a GEN3? Let me know, thank you soo much

SableSal

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
Instead of starting a new post, I hope you don't mind if I ask my trans cooler question here.

I want to get a large trans cooler for my 3.8 Sable, I do a lot of driving on mountain roads, so I want something that can handle the load with ease. This car will also be driven in the winter, so I don't want to fluid to be too cold, if there is such a thing.

Where can I get one of the coolers with a thermostat, if i need one with a t-stat. Thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I woulda been pissed... but realized you're a Sable owner. So it's ok... lol jk, It's cool man. I dont mind

SableSal

·
Premium Member
1,005 Posts
I have the 679 Hayden which is the largest, most efficient that they make. If I remember right there is a bypass built inside the cooler so it doesn't over cool in the winter. You may want to check with hayden on that one though as I am not positive. It is rated for 30.000 lbs or a motor home, so I am sure that will be sufficient for a family sedan. :lol2:
As far as installation goes, there should be a write up in the modification section. The hardest part is the actual mounting of the cooler, since the hoses are easy to connect.

·
Premium Member
14,127 Posts
That looks like my 679 I just got. You will also notice that there is no way for it to bypass. Unless the temps are below 0F I would not worry about it. Even at -20F after about 20 minutes the tranny fluid will get warmed up.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Seems to work pretty well from just a touch to the factory tube cooler to that. The factory cooler is nice and toasty where as the new one isnt so toasty. :lol: B) It's a better peace of mind with it installed. I have another smaller one and I was contemplating putting that one in too.... but didn't. I like this style much better over the finned tube design. I was even going to install a fan and a temperature switch on it but the clearances were pretty tight so I didn't put the fan in. Should I? (My friend also gave that to me :D )

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
For all these secondary transmission coolers, did all of you guys disconnect the original coolers and completely bypass the factory unit? I was reading in the modifications page that it could be done either way, but that keeping them both hooked up together could be a problem if the fluids mixed or something.

If you only need the alternate cooler, couldn't you just remove the original cooler to get some more space?

Also, has anyone measured the difference in heat going past these things? I wonder how much the cooler air going into the engine compartment helps with the other parts under the hood.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
What do you mean by "if the fluids mixed"? The trans fluid runs from the trans through a cooler, then through another cooler, and then back to the trans. There is no opportunity for the trans fluid to mix with anything other than more trans fluid.

JR

·
Registered
549 Posts
Originally posted by godspunk32@Jul 26 2004, 03:30 PM
What do you mean by "if the fluids mixed"?  The trans fluid runs from the trans through a cooler, then through another cooler, and then back to the trans.  There is no opportunity for the trans fluid to mix with anything other than more trans fluid.

JR
Umm actually yeah there is. The stock cooler is part of the radiator. The transmission fluid runs through a cooler inside the right (passenger) side tank of the radiator, acting as a heat exchanger. Haven't you ever noticed the transmission lines going into your radiator?

If the cooler inside the radiator tank breaks, you have coolant and tranny fluid mixing; say goodbye to your transmission if this happens. I have seen this happen before on a friend's ZX2.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.