Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a scangauge for Christmas. It is currently being repaired by Linear Logic because the board that was in the one I got doesn't work well with Ford vehicles. Anyway, The short amount of time I had it (about a week), the transmission temperature never seemed to get very high. I think the highest I ever saw it was about 120-130F. I installed a tranny cooler about 2 years ago, and I'm wondering if during the winter the transmission isn't reaching its proper temperature.
I had looked last year during winter for an inline thermostat, but couldn't find one. This year I googled again for "oil thermostat" and found these:
http://www.alamomotorsports.com/pmc/Cat_page14.html
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=prm-1070
I was thinking when I have some money I would buy one and install it in my car. My question is, does anyone know what the 4th outlet does? I can guess what three of them are: Inlet, output to the cooler, and output to the bypass loop. What would that fourth one be for? I made a mockup of how I would install the thermostat on my current setup:

My current setup is (1). (2) is how I would install the thermostat. The thermostat (a) would bypass the cooler through (B) until it reaches about 180F. Would this be a good setup?

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Well I've had two and end up taking them off because they cause overheating when I race.

You do not need to have the tranny fluid temp very hot, synthetic fluid will help this.

But if you need one I have one I don't use. They will get the temp up to ~150F or higher in the winter with a big aux cooler.

·
Registered
437 Posts
:huh: This Tranny Cooler question is very subjective to a persons driving needs. Personally, i think it's a waste of time and money unless you drive your Bull in extremes, or towing a load. If you live in the North and just commute fairly short distances, you don't need an extra cooler.

·
Premium Member
7,306 Posts
QUOTE (toronut @ Mar 5 2009, 05:16 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=705815
:huh: This Tranny Cooler question is very subjective to a persons driving needs. Personally, i think it's a waste of time and money unless you drive your Bull in extremes, or towing a load. If you live in the North and just commute fairly short distances, you don't need an extra cooler.[/b]
The transmission has poor cooling designs as it is, and a good portion of Tauruses came with no transmission cooler (mine included).

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
2 ports go to the engine and 2 ports go to the tranny cooler/oil cooler.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
I have a Scanguage as well.....it doesn't output tranny temps. How did you make it do that??

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Ok, I programmed the TFT into my Scan Gauge. The highest temp reading I've seen in the past 2-3 days has been 126 deg F. I don't have an after market Aux ATF cooler on my 04 as of yet. So, I should be able to give you a base line for your temps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts