Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to put an external cooler on my 92 Taurus, AXOD tranny.
232k on original tranny, shifts like a dream.. with Lubegard Red added!

Anyway, as much as I'd love to do a nice professional looking install, I don't have a lot of time, or room to work.

I decided to take a little shortcut.. instead of installing via removing a line from the radiator and running it to the cooler then back to the radiator, I was going to bypass the radiator connectors all together because.. original radiator and I have a feeling the second I touch those connectors they're gonna leak like scives and I'm replacing a radiator which I can't afford.

I am going to cut the 2 rubber hoses that connect to the giant loop and run those directly to the external cooler.
It doens't get very cold here in the Bay Area, and when it is cold.. it isn't for more than a month, and I'm not to worried about it.

My cooler has 3/8" hose nipple.

What is the size of the rubber line on the tranny cooler line?

I am guessing it's 5/16" which means I'd have to get an adapter, or make one out of nipples and a coupler.

it'll look like a noobie job.. but it will work pretty well though!

Any ideas or advice?

Thank you!

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
factory cooler line is 3/8 if I'm not mistaken; you can cut those rubber lines and add a coupler (just go buy a pair of couplers from autozone, they cost like $2.99) they also sell the tranny cooler hose for less than $4 per foot.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
u haul installs trans cooler and the hose. good thing about uhaul they hire pretty much anyone and dont inventory hose. i went there and got the supplys cheap. cost me a six pack. however they do sell and install.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
I would add the after market cooler in series with the stock cooler, especially if the new cooler doesn't have a low temp bypass built in like the pricier B&M coolers and such. You want to remove as many BTU's from the trans oil as possible for longest trans life. The lines are 3/8" ID, and like shomex said, you can cut into the rad lines without disturbing the connectors on the rad.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What if I leave the stock lines in place and make simply use the external cooler as bypass instead with a pair of T connectors?

I dunno how much would get cooled off though, but it'd have to be something more that what little it gets stock..
with no fins on the lines going in front of the radiator (exposed) I suppose ambiant temperature is what the lines are getting and that's probably not doing much to cool the fluid down.
in California, the heat here gets ridiculous.. although we had rain yesterday... it was a fluke!

It'd be a lot easier to throw the 2 brass T's I have and just run hose to the cooler.
This way what oil get cooled gets thrown right back into the tranny, bypassing the radiator cooler, which IMHO isn't cooling much.

I opted for a Hayden cooler instead.. (it was a lot cheaper and I've had great results with the Hayden being utilized as an oil cooler in my Ranger).

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
T's in the lines might actually cause little or no oil to flow through the coolers, the oil will take the path of least resistance, which would be just running in a loop through the lines. Hydraulic systems never work right with a component in parallel in the system, everything needs to be plumbed in series. Just cut the return line coming off the rad and splice in your Hayden with some barbed couplings. If you think the rad cooler isn't doing much, try running without it (no, not really, you'll kill your trans.)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well.. I'm sure it's doing something.. but not as much as I'd like it to do! haha!

Ok.. I'll lop an end off the cooler line and plumb it in series then.. I'm convinced.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Almost every ford I remember doing a cooler on has had 5/16" trans cooler lines. You can clamp 3/8" on it, but I dont like it. I have built adapters once, got a cooler with changeable fittings once (switched them to 5/16"), and I have double clamped 3/8" hose onto the line, but it is my least favorite! lol

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They really look like 5/16" to me.. but I've been fooled before...

the more I stared at it, the more I'm tempted to just slice the rubber lines on the underside and link those to my external cooler and use that exclusively. It'll still have cooling capability, better than what it is now..

It looks like a hassle to try and get to the cooler line on the radiator, (or just laziness from me). And there isn't a lot of room for a couple adapters to squeeze in...

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
Just slice one line only and run it over and back from your aux. with a couple of barbed couplings. You'll retain stock cooler function that way.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts