Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So is there a definite answer to whether connecting an auxiliary transmission cooler to your transmission fluid line will do damage to transmission by stopping the flow of fluid in cold weather? I am thinking of getting a SuperCooler 24,000 GVW. Right now I am in Texas, but will move to place with cold winters soon.

·
Premium Member
931 Posts
It will be fine.

If you mean B&M Supercooler, I'm running 3 of them on my cars for years. They have a natural built in bypass - when the fluid is cold and thick, it goes through the main top flow channel and completely bypasses the cooler. Once the fluid warms up it begins to move through the main body of the cooler.

Most you will notice is higher than normal shift points for about the first mile when starting out in sub freezing temps. Then all is normal.

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
I installed a gen2 SHO cooler on my wagon. I have it in a location that I will be able to put a shield / cover infront of it if the weather affects it to much. Living in northern Ohio, its a possibility. I have also noticed on cool days, that it takes a little while before my T/C locks up in OD when going onto the highway, but after about a mile or so it warms up enough to lock-up. I am planning on getting a digital trans temp gauge (0-340 deg read out) to see how its really working.

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
Install it to protect the tranny, and deal with the cold if/when it happens.
My thoughts exactly...... I can deal with a tranny running cold in the winter as ling as it doesnt run hot / burn up in the summer.....

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
From the Ford tuning I have seen the OEM TC lockup on Gen 3s, 4s is 70F unless the trans fluid temp starts out below 20F or so. Then it goes up to 90F before lockup.

If you do just a bit of stop and go driving first before hitting the open road it will lock up great.

If you are like me and live in the boonies everything is open highway so it takes a bit to lock it up when it's really cold out. Usually 15 minutes at the most.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I have my B&M installed in front of the radiator, as per Wiki process.

How to cover it up?
Also, if I cover it up, it will redice the air flow through the radiator. Can it cause the engine to heat up?

·
Premium Member
2003 Ford taurus Centennial Edition
1,405 Posts
From the Ford tuning I have seen the OEM TC lockup on Gen 3s, 4s is 70F unless the trans fluid temp starts out below 20F or so. Then it goes up to 90F before lockup.

If you do just a bit of stop and go driving first before hitting the open road it will lock up great.

If you are like me and live in the boonies everything is open highway so it takes a bit to lock it up when it's really cold out. Usually 15 minutes at the most.
Yes it's the boonies, but having been there it's quite scenic, too!!

·
Premium Member
2003 Ford taurus Centennial Edition
1,405 Posts

Yes it's the boonies, but having been there it's quite scenic, too!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts