Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, bout a month ago I was driving up to Flagstaff with my girlfriend and a buddy and on the interstate, going uphill, I noticed the transmission had stopped shifting to OD. Upon reaching the bottom of said hill, I exited the i17 and the car stopped going once I reached the stopsign. Transmission just revs in every gear. Severe burnt smell on dipstick. Anyhoo, I don't really have the cash for a new car but I could probably swap out the tranny. My question is, what other years of car will the tranny interchange with? I'm sure lots will bolt up, but I can't afford any CPU work, so I'm looking for a direct swap. Is it only the 1992 AXODE that I can use? I tried searching but couldn't find any specific information. It's an Essex V6 if that somehow matters.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
'92 for sure. '91 and '93 are possible. '94 and newer have different programming.

By the way, unless you're doing it yourself, it's probably cheaper to find another car. I was quoted $2600 to $2800 for a rebuild on my '95 by several local independent shops.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Def. gonna be doing it myself. I have learned my way through a FWD engine swap in a Lumina, and i've done a RWD tranny swap. Both of which have nothing to do with this car. But hopefully it shouldn't be too difficult, and I have some more experienced hands to help too. It was a free car, so I'm def. not spending anything like that. Any idea how much a rebuilt tranny would run? I don't want to get another old one that's just gonna bomb on me...

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
$1000 to $1500. From what I've heard, a Jasper reman unit is the best, but it's really expensive (around $2000 I think).

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I would price some local rebuilders first that offer at least a 2 year warranty on their workmanship. Check them out first on bbb.org to see if they settle all complaints, or have any pattern of complaints. It may be worth paying a little more to have them rebuild it stronger than spec as these are fragile transmissions, and don't be surprised if they require you to install a tranny cooler for warranty reasons-they know these transmissions well enough to know they need one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I like the bbb and cooler ideas. Good call. I've read a couple other posts regarding those, and I'm pretty sure it was an overheating that killed my transmission, so I will def. look into that. Thanks. And towelie is great!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts