Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I only ask because some say the bouncing off the rev limiter/governor in my truck can cause spark plug fouling and other problems. Would TC cut power in the same way only at lower RPMs? My car wouldn't start earlier today. Cranked fine but that's it. Started about 5 minutes later without problems. Could this have anything to do with driving around using TC like crazy? Sound silly but I've never had a problem with my car starting so I though they might be linked.

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
My Traction control actually dropps engine revs when it engages. If one tire has traction, it'll still run like normal, but only on the one wheel. If both loose traction, even if I mash the gas, the car will drop down the engine revs to bring down wheels speed till I get traction on at least one wheel again. If you're bouncing off some kind of governer, either your TCS works different then mine, or something is wrong.

As for the plugs, it depends how the governer is meant to operating. I believe some cut air to the engine, others cut fuel. If it is cutting fuel, you might be leaning out, which can cause problems. If it's cutting air flow, you might be running rich and not burning off everything, which could cause your plugs to develop carbon deposites.

Have you looked at your plugs yet? You might just wanna pull one to take a look at it. Maybe you wanna try running some fuel injection system cleaner through your gas tank too.

Another possibility is if you have some moisture in the tank. With the condensation and such, you may have developed some. You might wanna try tossing in some fuel stablizer you can get most anywhere you can buy auto fluids. Follow the direction on the bottle and see if that helps. Run the tank pretty much dry and put in a tank of fresh gas. If this is the problem, you may way to keep the tank no more then half empty durring the winter if you can help it. The less gas there is in the tank, the more air there is and the more chance for condensation to form. This is why when you store a boat for the winter, you're supposed to put a full tank of gas with fuel stablizer in the tank.

-Dan

PS: I've moved this thread to Maintenance and Repair, as this isn't really performance related.

J

·
0 Posts
The Traction Control is supposed to keep both wheels going at the same speed when one loses traction - this is what mine does - it first idles down the engine (not sure how) but that in itself helps somehow - but then it keeps both wheels going at the same rate so you don't pull to one side. It does this with ABS. That's the basis of how the system works. So depending on what it's doing to idle down the car, that's probably where the problem lies....

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by jason8225@Feb 8 2004, 12:24 AM
it first idles down the engine (not sure how)
That's really what I was wondering. If it cut fuel like a governor might like Dan explained I wondered if it could then be causing spark plug fouling. There is a slight miss in the engine now too. It's still under warrenty so I'm just going to take it in and have Ford deal with it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ford replaced plugs, wires, and injectors. Only one was bad but they said if one went the others usually followed so they did them all. I have no idea if it was just chance that they malfunctioned at the same time as we recieved snow.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts