Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally I was able to get the TPS out and installed. I am still getting a code of bad TPS. I read in the Chiltons book that the TPS needs to be hooked on a tang and then rotated clockwise into place. I just want to make sure that what I am reading is correct in that the TPS should be installed in the hole at an angle and then, kinda under tension, is bolted in place. Thanks for any help. Jim

·
Registered
23,390 Posts
Iirc, thats correct. Also iirc, spridget once mentioned there are 2 types of tps, 1 you rotate clockwise and 1 you rotate counterclockwise to get in position and they cannot be interchanged. Depends on your tb set-up. Dunno, maybe time to start checking wiring? You cleared code after installation, right?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Iirc, thats correct. Also iirc, spridget once mentioned there are 2 types of tps, 1 you rotate clockwise and 1 you rotate counterclockwise to get in position and they cannot be interchanged. Depends on your tb set-up. Dunno, maybe time to start checking wiring? You cleared code after installation, right?
I cleared the code but the light came back on. Raining too hard to go out and pull code but will over the weekend. I did not rotate it putting it in. I am hoping that is the problem. Thanks. Jim

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Finally got back to this all. Took the TPS out and did a clockwise reinstall. Still three voltagweck th a code. Today I got an analog meter and got ready to ches. As I was moving the connector I found a busted wire in the connector. I ordered a new connector and hopefully this saga will be over. Thanks for the help. Jim

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The TPS still was not working so I finally gave in and had it checked at the local shop. They said the TPS is bad. So I ordered a new one. The question I have is still the rotate. If the TPS is orientated the way the picture attached shows and the actuator in the throttle body is verticle shouldn't it just go on straight with no clockwise turn? This is only the start of my "falling apart" 97. Ball Joints, 1 wheel bearing, 2 hoses leaking, water pump seeping I may just say bye bye to her. I hate working on them in the cold. It has been a great car though. Thanks. Jim

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,623 Posts
Look at the flat the TPS engages. Open throttle and see which direction it rotates. Install TPS so the flat correctly engages the tangs on the TPS and rotates it.

What was the exact code? There are several TPS related codes.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Look at the flat the TPS engages. Open throttle and see which direction it rotates. Install TPS so the flat correctly engages the tangs on the TPS and rotates it.

What was the exact code? There are several TPS related codes.
The TPS is spring loaded correct? The flat should be here(Pic white line) or is it more of a 45 to the tangs ? Thanks for the help. This is drivin me nuts. The code I think is P1120. Garage guy said there is 5 volts everywhere on all pins. Jim

·
Super Moderator
8,623 Posts
5 V on ALL 3 pins tells me there is an open in SIG RETURN back to the PCM.

The tangs will be touching the flat on the throttle shaft.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
5 V on ALL 3 pins tells me there is an open in SIG RETURN back to the PCM.

The tangs will be touching the flat on the throttle shaft.
I think I may have broken it putting it in wrong. I may just take it to the shop and have them install the new one so I don't break this one. I can believe how much trouble this thing has been. Thanks. Jim

·
Super Moderator
8,623 Posts
An e'ectrically 'broken' TPS will not cause 5V @ all pins. Open TPS output circuit will give 0V on that circuit and on SIG RETURN, 5V on VREF. Break in resistance inside TPS will give 0V on SIG RETURN 5V on VREF, and either 0V or 5V on TPS OUT, depending on where the break is.

Do what Josh says.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The TPS turned out to be physically broken. I got a new one and had the shop install it and all is well. Thanks for all the help. I learned quite a bit during this. Jim

1 - 14 of 14 Posts