Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me where the Throttle Position Sensor is located on a 2000 Mercury Sable? Its a 3.0 6cycl - not a DOH.

THank much!!

·
Premium Member
7,537 Posts
It's on the backside of the throttle body. The throttle cable attaches to the cam on the front side of the body. It has two bolts and a 3 wire connector going to it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thx behlinia, I recently replaced the CamSensor so I have a good idea where that is. However being very illiterate when it comes to mechanics I am not sure where the throttle cable is.
I do know where the metal plate is (when I say metal plate I mean the plate I can move that accellerates the engine when under the hood). Is that somewhat close to the TPS?
Sorry for being dumb

·
Registered
10,958 Posts
Thx behlinia, I recently replaced the CamSensor so I have a good idea where that is. However being very illiterate when it comes to mechanics I am not sure where the throttle cable is.
I do know where the metal plate is (when I say metal plate I mean the plate I can move that accellerates the engine when under the hood). Is that somewhat close to the TPS?
Sorry for being dumb
Be careful. That TPS is delicate and has to slip on the tang on the throttle shaft just right. You have to back up the TPS a bit and wind it up several degrees to align the screws. The TPS has a spring and is at zero when off. When on the shaft, it is turned a bit against the spring and at some "non zero" rotation.

-chart-

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thx Sheila!
ChartMaker, is this something (EVEN ME) could change out? When I did a YouTube on changing out the TPS it seemed pretty straight forward. Take off the two screws, unplug and your done. Very similar to the CamSensor I replaced.

Completely lost when you said " slip on the tang on the throttle shaft just right. You have to back up the TPS a bit and wind it up several degrees to align the screws."

·
Registered
10,958 Posts
Thx Sheila!
ChartMaker, is this something (EVEN ME) could change out? When I did a YouTube on changing out the TPS it seemed pretty straight forward. Take off the two screws, unplug and your done. Very similar to the CamSensor I replaced.

Completely lost when you said " slip on the tang on the throttle shaft just right. You have to back up the TPS a bit and wind it up several degrees to align the screws."
See pic. The TPS has a slot in it's shaft.
The Throttle shaft has a tang = bar on the end.
They engage. So it requires just a bit of rotation of the TPS body to engage the two, then rotate to align the screw holes.

-chart-

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thx Chartmaker, found where it is and might get out there and buy it. I think they run $45. We are closing on a house next Monday so I am trying to hold off spending any $$$ until then.

Not sure if it helps but I am noticing a pattern with the Sable. Seems it is pretty consistent that when the engine is cold the RPM's bounce from 1000 to 2000 and go back-n-forth for a few minutes. Sometimes the RPM's get so low the car dies. But ALWAYS restarts.

Once the engine is warm and I am driving it a mile or two, it runs smooth.
So the pattern seems to be the when its cold it freaks out even as I drive. But driving a few miles warming the engine, always fixes it. And thank god for that.
I also noticed when the RPM's bounce, if I accelerate while in park or neutral seems to force it from not bouncing.

Does that sound like a TPS?

·
Registered
23,582 Posts
Might need to clean/replace iac (idle air control). Silver canister with black plastic cap sitting atop the manifold right behind the throttle body. Remove it and spray it out with throttle body/air intake cleaner or brake cleaner. I would spray clean the throttle body and check for vacuum leaks also. Up high, down low, bigdogg, im too old and slow, lol!

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
Might need to clean/replace iac (idle air control). Silver canister with black plastic cap sitting atop the manifold right behind the throttle body. Remove it and spray it out with throttle body/air intake cleaner or brake cleaner. I would spray clean the throttle body and check for vacuum leaks also. Up high, down low, bigdogg, im too slow, lol!
lol. at least you explain things a lot better then i do. I have a habit of thinking every one knows the locations and function of the parts and sensors.

I would clean the iac before spending money on parts.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.