Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
13 Taurus SHO PP
So long story short, I got my oil changed a few weeks ago, and was told my driver side front tire was critically low and that I should keep an eye on it. Thought it was a bit weird the light never came on. Yesterday the tire went completely flat due to a crack in the rim (no idea how that happened), but the light never came on. I verified the TPMS is enabled in Forscan. Anyone know why it simply does not work? No errors in the dash, no codes or anything.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you get pressure readings through Forscan if you pull up the PIDs?
Here is everything I could load in forscan regarding TPMS. Notice the one IPC reading is showing the warning lamp is off. Keep in mind the tire is still flat and the car is on a jack stand until I get the new rim. The affected wheel is currently leaning on the break assembly.

Attachments

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you hit something hard enough to crack a rim you may have damaged the sensor. You could let air out of another tire and see if alarms.
I don't recall hitting anything hard enough to cause this. However the Crack is so small that I did not believe it would make the tire go flat until the guy at the shop put air in it for me and there was air rushing out. Here's a picture of the cracked rim.

1224181618_1545840565266.jpg

·
Registered
417 Posts
Here is everything I could load in forscan regarding TPMS. Notice the one IPC reading is showing the warning lamp is off. Keep in mind the tire is still flat and the car is on a jack stand until I get the new rim. The affected wheel is currently leaning on the break assembly.

That's strange. I'll have to check my setup when i hop in my car. I've noticed i did not get any of the typical TPMS lights on this winter as the temps dropped. I've been relying on the light and never had time to check. I'll go hook up shortly and see if any of my PID's look completely different from yours

·
Registered
417 Posts
You don't have any BCM codes or any other stores codes from the modules do you?

SO I scanned through the FSM a bit and saw that under "status" your TPMS system is reporting one tire is low. "Low cmpst status" and the system looks like it wants to generate a indicator light.

Silly question...does the light in the dash work? When you turn the car on, does the light come on for a second and then go out?

I checked on my car last night and the status was "system ready" with indicators both OFF. My pressures were around 25psi on all 4 tires however. I wonder what the cutoff is for tripping the light?

·
Gen 5/6 Forum Moderator
3,017 Posts
I would go into Engineering Test Mode and engage the Tell Tale Test--see if the TPMS light comes on with the rest of the cluster.

To do this -- All doors closed, hold left OK button on wheel, then turn key or press start/stop to ON (KOEO, do not start). Scroll to 'TELLTALE TEST' and evaluate accordingly.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You don't have any BCM codes or any other stores codes from the modules do you?

SO I scanned through the FSM a bit and saw that under "status" your TPMS system is reporting one tire is low. "Low cmpst status" and the system looks like it wants to generate a indicator light.

Silly question...does the light in the dash work? When you turn the car on, does the light come on for a second and then go out?

I checked on my car last night and the status was "system ready" with indicators both OFF. My pressures were around 25psi on all 4 tires however. I wonder what the cutoff is for tripping the light?
I have no codes at all. I actually thought there might have been an issue with the light, but I went into forscan and turned on the tpms light in the cluster and it works. The only thing I did that I can think MIGHT have caused this issue is I upgraded from sync 2 to sync 3. I did all the as built codes correctly.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would go into Engineering Test Mode and engage the Tell Tale Test--see if the TPMS light comes on with the rest of the cluster.

To do this -- All doors closed, hold left OK button on wheel, then turn key or press start/stop to ON (KOEO, do not start). Scroll to 'TELLTALE TEST' and evaluate accordingly.
The light works. I tested the light via ETM, and Forscan. I thought the light was bad at first too.

·
Gen 5/6 Forum Moderator
3,017 Posts
Did you edit the IPC's as-built data during the Sync 3 conversion?

I wish I still had the Taurus's service manual to reference--usually the theory and operation will describe the modules that signal the code and then make the request to the IPC.

I also can't remember which modules had sat on multiple data buses, acting as a gateway between HS and MS can, etc. APIM might have been one.

·
Gen 5/6 Forum Moderator
3,017 Posts
Hmm... I wonder what would happen if you attempted to re-train the TPMS (MIGHT be something in the Topic Finder on this, but can't remember). If you have a reset tool, I'd have at it and see what happens.

IPC should walk you through the process once the reset routine is triggered.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Hmm... I wonder what would happen if you attempted to re-train the TPMS (MIGHT be something in the Topic Finder on this, but can't remember). If you have a reset tool, I'd have at it and see what happens.

IPC should walk you through the process once the reset routine is triggered.
Yeah I need to get the tool. That is one thing I am definitely going to try to see if maybe something is up. I am going out right now to double check my APIM as built, as well as double checking the IPC as built to see if anything might be causing it to behave this way.

Also, here is my current APIM as built if there is anything you see that might be off.

Attachments

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So I went out to the car and decided to load my as built backup for the IPC. I remembered that I attempted to do a couple mods a long while ago with the cluster that did not change anything. Turns out I ended up breaking the TPMS doing that despite everything else working correctly. Anyways, after restoring the backup, TPMS is now working correctly. Thank you all for the help.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just as an FYI for the group, the TPMS light on the dash will light when any tire pressure drops 25% below placard. So if placard is 34 psi, the TPMS light will come on if pressure drops below 26 psi.

Also, you can use a rule of thumb of 1 psi drop for every 10 degree drop in temperature. So if you're on the edge, a cold morning could trip the light, but then it may go out as you drive & heat up the tire (which increases the pressure).

Finally, in regard to Jaeden possibly breaking a sensor, the light would blink for about 90 seconds at start-up if there was a communication problem between a sensor and the on-board receiver. This is something to keep in mind for the older vehicles as the sensor batteries may be coming to the end of their service life. The light will flash at start-up when a sensor battery gives up can no longer transmit a signal to the car. In this case, the sensor needs to be replaced (can not replace just the battery), and always relearned to the vehicle.

Let me know if you have any questions on TPMS.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts