Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
That's a lot of weight, even for a 3.8. I don't think it would hurt the engine, but be sure to watch the temperatures while you're towing. Also, like everyone else will surely recommend, try to either install or have a tranny cooler installed. That will safegaurd your transmission, probably the weakest link in your car.

May be safer to rent a truck, though. Is the gen3 broken or are you just bored?

·
Premium Member
10,632 Posts
Originally posted by mikehawk+Jan 25 2004, 06:30 PM-->QUOTE (mikehawk @ Jan 25 2004, 06:30 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-Firespirit
@Jan 25 2004, 02:13 PM
personally I wouldnt tow a g3 with a g2....

my mom wants to tow my g3 with her g1 intrepid. no way.

if im right it puts a strain on the engine and tranny like woah!
Your mom's 3.5L should have plenty of torque. [/b]
But towing from IN to RI?? no way.. I dont wanna put that risk on the car, plus the tranny has a slow leak in it too!

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
do not tow a car with another car if its unibody. thats just asking for insane stress on everything. and i think another car exceeds the intrepids towing capacity.

please just drive it, it would be much safer.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Go get a Crown Vic, that will do the job just fine.

But that is a bit far for a Gen 2 or a Gen 3 to tow each other.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Originally posted by Twilight@Jan 25 2004, 07:07 PM
do not tow a car with another car if its unibody. thats just asking for insane stress on everything. and i think another car exceeds the intrepids towing capacity.

please just drive it, it would be much safer.
Alex, a couple of questions:

1) Are you saying:
a) don't tow with a unibody car?
don't tow a unibody car?
c) don't tow a unibody car with another unibody car?

2) What stresses are you referring to? How are they different from non-unibody stresses?

Please help me understand.

Mark
95 SHO

J

·
0 Posts
If you have any way of getting a hold of a Grand Marquis or a Crown Vic - you can tow a sh*t load with those. My grandpa used to pull a 25 ft. full size camper every weekend with his Grand Marquis w/ the 4.6 and it did it reliably every weekend in the summer, no problem.

If I were you I would look into a Uhaul or something that you could tow the car with, personally. Of if you know somebody who has a truck you could borrow, just get a Uhaul trailer and tow it with a truck.

J

·
0 Posts
Well, heck.. if the Gen 2 is free, I'd just toss in a good tranny cooler, change the fluid frequently and call it good.

·
Registered
7 Posts
You might have a tough time finding a trailer hitch for a Taurus that can handle that much weight. The most Ford rates a Taurus to tow is about 1700 lbs. I can't imagine a hitch manufacturer wasting money developing anything other than a Class I hitch (2000 lbs). All Tauruses are in excess of 3000 lbs. Also, the brakes will be completely inadequate to stop the load. Don't do it!

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
whats a unibody car?
mean no seperate frame.. like in trucks..
i thgt the taurus gen3 was pretty strong structureally. ??

may be the sub frame connectoers wil help

·
Premium Member
10,632 Posts
Originally posted by sundarpn@Jan 26 2004, 12:59 PM
whats a unibody car?
mean no seperate frame.. like in trucks..
i thgt the taurus gen3 was pretty strong structureally. ??

may be the sub frame connectoers wil help
Hes talking about towing a g3 with a g2 car.

Meaning older towing newer.... More stress on the car = kerplop.

B

·
0 Posts
Simple answer: NO.

As others have mentioned, the brakes and general structure of the car are not designed for this. If it were down the street or something, you'd be OK, but not over the road.

FWIW, I tow a car trailer all the time with my Suburban, and it's pushing its limits doing that.

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
I towed a 19 foot boat around with my 2000 for a while. Even that's a little unnerving having 1700 LBS of dead weight hanging from the rear of your car, but you're talking almost double that. It just ain't gonna work for a couple reasons.

1) As was mensioned, because the front end is doing all the pulling, you are putting stress through the center of the tow car rather then the rear frame. This ain't good

2) Because you are dealing with FWD, the towing capacity is limited because as you put weight on the rear end, you loose traction on the front end. I wouldn't have tried to tow more then my 1700 lbs boat with my car. The car is rated at 1750 lbs.

-Dan

·
Premium Member
3,493 Posts
I say go for it and then come back and tell us it it can pull it

·
Registered
57 Posts
Good choice. I'm trying to decide whether to use my Ranger to tow a 2500lbs boat and you were talking even more than that with a Taurus. About the only thing a trailer hitch should be on any car for is to mount a bike carrier.

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
Originally posted by smithbt5@Jan 26 2004, 11:38 AM
You might have a tough time finding a trailer hitch for a Taurus that can handle that much weight. The most Ford rates a Taurus to tow is about 1700 lbs. I can't imagine a hitch manufacturer wasting money developing anything other than a Class I hitch (2000 lbs). All Tauruses are in excess of 3000 lbs. Also, the brakes will be completely inadequate to stop the load. Don't do it!
Just an FYI, I have a class 2 hitch installed on my car, but the only thing I tow is my sailboat (maybe 800 pountds, probably more around 600.)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts