Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How far is it safe for the tranny to tow the car, if I leave the transmission in neutral?

Slow speed ofcause ;)

Brg!

/StreetOnly

·
Registered
50 Posts
if you tow it by securing the front wheels to the truck, as far as the truck will take you, if you are referring to dragging behind another vehicle, with chains... I would suggest against it, not for the transmissions sake, but for the sake of safety. Without the engine running, the brakes are far from worthy (no booster, and a low ratio from master cylinder to wheel cylinder / caliper pressures), and you have no power steering pump, putting additional stress on the rack, rack seals, and the steering column, as well as the clock springs, and steering column / column suspension. At most a couple miles if you must.... better would be to secure a tow dolly.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
if you are referring to dragging behind another vehicle, with chains... I would suggest against it, not for the transmissions sake, but for the sake of safety.
This was my question, behind another car. I know that some autotransmissions can suffer from permanent damage if the engine is not running and the car is beeing towed.

So apart from the (not so insignifficant) security issue, there is no risks for the transmission?

·
Registered
701 Posts
If you're using a two wheeled car dolly, you normally put the front wheels on the dolly and with the Taurus being a front wheel drive car, transmission in park with the parking brake released will do just fine. Oh, properly secure the car to the dolly before you head-off.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you're using a two wheeled car dolly, you normally put the front wheels on the dolly and with the Taurus being a front wheel drive car, transmission in park with the parking brake released will do just fine. Oh, properly secure the car to the dolly before you head-off.
I'll be towing with an Audi A6 Quattro and no dolly. With a friend in the Audi and myself in the Taurus. Since I don't have a dolly and buing one feels a bit "over the top" for a one car tow.. There are no good ways to rent one either in my area.

But before proceeding I just wanted to get it confirmed that I can tow and automatic geared Taurus without risking the transmission, hence my questions.

·
Registered
701 Posts
When towing with all 4 wheels on the pavement, neutral is preferred. Just try not to go too far with it for the reasons addressed above.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Don't do it, for the sake of both the Taurus and the A6. Without the engine running, and in drive, the transmission will heat up internally. Only manual transmission cars can be flat-towed, unless you remove both driveshafts from the Taurus (not an easy task). Use a car dolly to tow the Taurus, and at least a 1/2 ton truck as the tow vehicle (Uhaul and Budget have reasonable car dolly/truck rentals). The Audi A6 shouldn't tow more than a couple of jet ski's or a tent trailer, not a 3,400lb Taurus.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Don't do it, for the sake of both the Taurus and the A6. Without the engine running, and in drive, the transmission will heat up internally. Only manual transmission cars can be flat-towed, unless you remove both driveshafts from the Taurus (not an easy task). Use a car dolly to tow the Taurus, and at least a 1/2 ton truck as the tow vehicle (Uhaul and Budget have reasonable car dolly/truck rentals). The Audi A6 shouldn't tow more than a couple of jet ski's or a tent trailer, not a 3,400lb Taurus.
:werd: Do not tow the Taurus with all 4 wheels on the ground. Burn up the transmission. Or if you have to, you can buy an RV-tow behind trans cooler for the car if you want.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, I wont tow the Taurus - for the sake of its transmission.

The Audi would however do the job without hesitation - an Audi A6 2.5 TDi Quattro (manual gearbox) has an towing capacity of 1900 kilos (around 4200 pounds I think). I have pulled heavier things than an Taurus with it... B)

Things just got a bit more complicated.. Have no dolly, and renting trucks is hard when you don't have an drivers license for them.. Things are a bit different here in Europe.. :unsure:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
:worthlesswithoutpic
[IRONY]
This could have been me the other day..
[/IRONY]

Sorry for that OT part.. just couldnt resist it.. :D

:rofl2: That could be a slight understatemnet :thumb:
Indeed true - things are ALOT different here in Europe. I feel a bit like an alien here.. :huh:

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
IMHO, the Taurus should be towed on a full trailer. I wouldn't put the stresses on the front wheels by towing it on a dolly or flat towing it.

I'd just get a good sized trailer and load the Taurus up on it.

As far as I know from my limited research. Audi does not recommend towing with the 2.5 TDi.

The only engine that I know of that has that 4188lbs tow rating is the 3.0 TDI Manual. The Auto has a 3527lbs limit.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
As far as I know from my limited research. Audi does not recommend towing with the 2.5 TDi.

The only engine that I know of that has that 4188lbs tow rating is the 3.0 TDI Manual. The Auto has a 3527lbs limit.
I know that the cars is rated differently in various countries. Regarding my Audi A6 2.5TDi Quattro Manual MY2000, I looked on the registration papers and they states 1900kg as maximum weight. I also know that an A6 2.5 TDi FWD with Multitronic MY2004 is rated at 2100kg - since I had one previously..

Anyway, a trailer is not an option for me since I have a plan B type drivers license. This limit me to 1300kg behind the Audi - even if the car is rated higher. Since we have in Sweden an maximum "train weight" of 3500kg for B-type licenses (B = Passenger Cars or Light Trucks up to 3500kg). In year 2013 will there be an adaptation made to Swedish laws so they match EU rules, increasing the 3500kg to 4250kg. I need an BE license allowing me to have "Heavy trailers" to be able to leagly put the Taurus on a trailer. :huh:

Edit 1: The total weight is calculated out of an theoretical "service weight", where the Audi is close to 2200 kg in "service weight" (Something like: Car + driver + a certain amount of cargo + 2 passengers). That leaves 1300kg to pull before I reach 3500kg. This is why some have build "car transporter" out of normal passenger cars. They get a weird total load weight, say that the car is only 1800 kg, that means that you can load an 1700kg car on it. This Volvo I'd love to have as a transporter.. Volvo S80 T6 "Biltransport", varför? - GARAGET - www.garaget.org

Finally, I've got hold of a Dolly, rented one from a farmer nearby my home for aprox 60USD. So tonight I'm picking up my Taurus so I can get it home and get the waterpump fixed. :)

Edit 2: And here comes the beauty with an dolly, transporting a car on the dolly is "towing" that other car. So I'm allowed to tow anything as long as it's done in sub 30km/h speed and that the towed car + dolly is lighter than the towing car. In my case is the Audi 1630 kilos and the Taurus is 1510 kilos and the dolly is 80. Hence it's ok. My Volvo is only 1430 kilos so it would not work. Again, your weight numbers may vary, since these are the "off the registration papers" weights (I think its: car + half a tank - driver - spare). They are what the police looks at if I would be stoped for inspection.

I can drop a picture during the weekend of the towcar+dolly+taurus if anyone need photo evidence of this actually taking place.. :lol2:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts