Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about installing a receiver hitch on my '06 sedan so I can tow my 4'x8' steel motorcycle trailer behind it. I have engine mods: crank UDP, roller rockers, 2.5 inch exhaust w/ 3rd cat delete, and SCT tune. My suspension is Eibachs on KYB with a 20 mm front and 22 mm rear sway bars. Will it be too much for my car to pull my trailer with a 350 pound bike on it? The trip I'm planning is 600-700 miles one way.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
See if you can source a Gen 2 ATX SHO transmission cooler, make sure you have some quality Mercon V synthetic ATF (doesn't break down until a much higher temp than regular petroleum ATF) running in the system. And drive. I would doubt it's much different than driving with a full load of passengers and their luggage as well (when you add in trailer, bike, etc).

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a trans cooler off of a 7.5L diesel F-350 that I haven't gotten around to installing yet. I imagine that'll be plenty of cooling.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
I have a trans cooler off of a 7.5L diesel F-350 that I haven't gotten around to installing yet. I imagine that'll be plenty of cooling.
Oh yea...that will do juuuuust fine. I noticed you are up North, so maybe you'll want some kind of inline thermostat to have it only go through the cooler if the temp is at or above X Fahrenheit.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not worried about thermostatic control, I have a '93 F-150 for the cooler (below 0F) weather.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I would just install a stacked fin type atf cooler, that has the cold fluid bypass built in. A nice, good size one with the hose kit (you'll need the Ford cooler line adaptor fitting) costs around $50. As long as the trailer+bike weight combined isn't over 1,200lbs, you'll be fine with the atf cooler.

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
Your car should be fine with that bike on it. You could pull 10,000 lbs with that car. Well for a little while anyway! ;)

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've never towed with a car before that's why I'm asking. Usually if I need to drag something I use my 300 six powered F-150. I have a cycle rally coming up and I'm wanting to trailer my '97 TL1000S there so I still feel like ridding when I arrive. I don't really want to take my truck the 700 miles at 15 mpg.

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
Yeah 15mpg at 700 miles is kinda a bummer if you have the option of getting some better mpg's. Your bull would be more comfortable also.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I acquired a trans cooler from a Gen2 ATX SHO. I'm going to plumb it in the return like coming off of the factory cooler in the radiator. This cooler does not have a cold bypass, and frankly, I'm not too concerned about that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts