Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have something I'm worried about. In the morning when I go out to start my car, my car starts just fine, but after the car is started it makes some REALLY weird noises. It literally sounds like the engine is humping a tree........and that scares me alot. My mom thinks that I just don't have enough gas in it for how cold it is (i have about 1/2 tank) but it does the same thing with a full tank.

Has anyone else had this problem? If so, is it a serious problem, or something not to worry about.

I have a 91 GL Taurus with the 3.0 Vulcan. I don't know about my mom's theory, because I only fill my baby with 92 octane. So I have no clue.

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Hmm... I've never heard the sounds of a Vulcan humping a tree. Duratec? Sure! But never a Vulcan.

Does it run OK after that? Does the car buck or shudder while the engine is making all that racket? Do all the fluids check out OK?

*EDIT* Is it a sort of groaning noise that cycles fast/slow? My 92 made that noise as the PS pump was dying. It started out just doing it at start-up, but now it does it whenever the engine is running.

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
Originally posted by Capital Punishment+Jan 8 2004, 10:27 PM-->QUOTE (Capital Punishment @ Jan 8 2004, 10:27 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-Qwertz9586
@Jan 8 2004, 09:05 PM
What does a car humping a tree sound like? 

I couldnt tell you.
[/b]
I would imagion it'd be like a thump lol

Anyways, his mom is refering to moisture collecting in the gas tank ...keeping it full usually avoids this problem, and so does ISO HEAT...but if you had it full, this couldnt be the problem...

·
Registered
346 Posts
My car has an exhuast leak that make a horrible sound when it is really cold on startup. It sort of sounds like it is getting busy with and oak.

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
*Humps Tree, makes recording......hmmmmmmmmm

I got some woooo!

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
First of all, if you don't have a chip, you should only be running on 87 octane. It will take about 3 fill ups to adjust going back to a lower octane. And, use the good stuff and not the cheap surplus crap. Stick with the same gas station or find out who uses the same fuel and use that if your regular gas station isn't around. In California, I only use Union 76 or Quick stop. For some reason, they get their fuel from the same distributor.

2nd, it may be your transmission that's making that noise. If it's been 30k miles or more since your last trans tune up, get the trans oil and filter changed and add some Lucus Trans Slip to it. Before you change it, buy some Trans Tune by Seafoam or Chem tool. Put half a can in your trans and go through the gears for a about 20 secounds in each gear, then drive it around for 5 mintues, take it in to have the trans oil changed or do it yourself. With a Vulcan, you will need 5 quarts and a bottle of Lucus additive. A Duratec, you'll need at least 6 quarts plus a bottle of Lucus. It's a messy job, but it's not hard to do by yourself. You'll just need a larger pan and some patience.

Your filter might be plugged up and your oil pump is working over time.

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
5 quarts will only change the fluid in the pan. Not good, especially if you add additives to the old fluid. To change all the fluid, you'll need about 12-14 quarts.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Originally posted by mykej27@Jan 9 2004, 02:57 PM
First of all, if you don't have a chip, you should only be running on 87 octane. It will take about 3 fill ups to adjust going back to a lower octane. And, use the good stuff and not the cheap surplus crap. Stick with the same gas station or find out who uses the same fuel and use that if your regular gas station isn't around. In California, I only use Union 76 or Quick stop. For some reason, they get their fuel from the same distributor.

2nd, it may be your transmission that's making that noise. If it's been 30k miles or more since your last trans tune up, get the trans oil and filter changed and add some Lucus Trans Slip to it. Before you change it, buy some Trans Tune by Seafoam or Chem tool. Put half a can in your trans and go through the gears for a about 20 secounds in each gear, then drive it around for 5 mintues, take it in to have the trans oil changed or do it yourself. With a Vulcan, you will need 5 quarts and a bottle of Lucus additive. A Duratec, you'll need at least 6 quarts plus a bottle of Lucus. It's a messy job, but it's not hard to do by yourself. You'll just need a larger pan and some patience.

Your filter might be plugged up and your oil pump is working over time.
smells like snake oil <_<

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
If money is tight, it's a quick fix. The problem is, you'll have to change it again in another 20k miles or have it flushed.

Lucus oil additive products for your engine and trans really do work.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts