Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I am looking for a kit that favors a touchscreen headunit.

I am wondering if anybody knows of a head unit and kit that will look good with my Sable.

http://www.parts-express.com/images/item_standard/265-807_s.jpg

I found this and I see most people use it but I don't really want my unit I get covering the AC so if anybody knows of a good headunit I can stick that doesn't do that please reply.

Was also trying to do a mod like David the Fishman and mount a tablet in the center but I would have to relocate my AC Manual Knobs...

·
Registered
150 Posts
There are a lot of Chinese-built units available. I purchased a system with a tilting 5.6" display. The unit was single-DIN with a face that was larger. The over-hang was on the bottom of the face, so the vents were clear, and yet it didn't interfere with the climate controls.

As these ship directly from China, repairs/warranty is non-existent (unless you are willing to deal with multiple international shipments, duties, etc). One of the amplifier channels started to become intermittant on mine (poor solder connection or weak internal cable). It has since been retired.

Also, integration of the various functions is less than smooth. These are based on Windows CE (also the basis of Windows Mobile/Windows Phone 7, and many GPS units). The individual modules (DVD player, media player, radio, TV, iPod controller, etc) can conflict with each other. The GPS cannot function in the background (unless specifically mentioned) because Windows CE doesn't multi-task well. Also, the bluetooth hands-free phone integration is less than spectacular. They do not seem to use DSP, so there is a lot of echo in the outgoing audio.

While there are better-integrated units available in the US, they will be much more expensive. If you are interested, look at SoundStream, Pyle, and RoadMaster for single-DIN units with larger than 4" screens that won't block the vents. IIRC, these brands actually are all owned by the same company. Walmart (of all places) sometimes has these available, but the features can be limited.

A quick Google search

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are a lot of Chinese-built units available. I purchased a system with a tilting 5.6" display. The unit was single-DIN with a face that was larger. The over-hang was on the bottom of the face, so the vents were clear, and yet it didn't interfere with the climate controls.

As these ship directly from China, repairs/warranty is non-existent (unless you are willing to deal with multiple international shipments, duties, etc). One of the amplifier channels started to become intermittant on mine (poor solder connection or weak internal cable). It has since been retired.

Also, integration of the various functions is less than smooth. These are based on Windows CE (also the basis of Windows Mobile/Windows Phone 7, and many GPS units). The individual modules (DVD player, media player, radio, TV, iPod controller, etc) can conflict with each other. The GPS cannot function in the background (unless specifically mentioned) because Windows CE doesn't multi-task well. Also, the bluetooth hands-free phone integration is less than spectacular. They do not seem to use DSP, so there is a lot of echo in the outgoing audio.

While there are better-integrated units available in the US, they will be much more expensive. If you are interested, look at SoundStream, Pyle, and RoadMaster for single-DIN units with larger than 4" screens that won't block the vents. IIRC, these brands actually are all owned by the same company. Walmart (of all places) sometimes has these available, but the features can be limited.

A quick Google search
Thanks for the very kind response.

I will take a visit up to my Wal-Mart and take a look on ebay I might get a good steal on one of those brands :-D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts