Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in an accident a few days ago with my "new" SES. I've only had it 7 months. The other guy's insurance company decided to total it and they are giving me $6300 for it! It was a 2003 with 81K on it. I'm looking at a 2007 SEL for $7888 so the settlement will just about cover the new car. :D

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was an F-350 which also had a lift kit. He had a grill guard on it - that's what that tall dent is on the left. We were both stopped at a red light and his foot slipped off the brake. :blink: Thankfully, no one in front of me and no injuries.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, crazy huh?! He only pushed me about 5 feet. I was shocked at the damage but really didn't think it would be a total loss.

·
Banned
375 Posts
Wow well it does look decently bad, trunk lid , tail light, rear body damage. Are both sides curled? I could see that costing an arm. Ugh that sucks I'm sorry they totaled it. I don't' know what I would do if something happened to my car. I think I wouldn't let them total it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Actually just the passenger side was going to need a new quarter panel as it was somewhat buckled. The driver side was okay. I'm not too depressed about them totalling it. It was my first Taurus and I hadn't had it that long. I'm looking forward to checking out some others!

·
Registered
809 Posts
:blink:

Wow alot of damage for a slow impact. He must have hit the gas or was a half car behind you maybe. WOW that sucks they totalled it, but car shopping can be fun!!

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Shame about your car, glad you're both ok. Seems like you made out decent on the insurance deal, so happy shopping!

·
Registered
332 Posts
Similar thing happened with my GF last year.
She was appling brakes to stop at the Red light, the stupid girlie sandle with big heel slipped off the brake pedal.
She hit the car in front at 15-20 mph, totalling both :D

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Nice to know what huge trucks and suv's driven by angry soccer moms can do to a midsize family sedan. Hope you can find a good, newer Taurus to replace it with, mine has never let me down. When the rear quarter panels get bent, that will usually total out a car that's worth less than 10k, since it's hard to fix them. Don't forget to haggle, haggle the price on these cars, dealers often pay less than the blue book trade in values at auctions for these.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Dude!! You're not hurt, you're making out golden in this deal. That's alot more than the car's worth, I dunno about his insurance co., they must be on glue.

As far as the damage, I gaurantee you it's worse than it looks. I got rear ended by a small suv, it looked alot less bad than yours. The unibody behind the bumper cover was buckled like an accordian. You couldn't really tell, other than the fact the trunk didn't really open or close without force. But it just looked like the rear bumper cover needed to be replaced until they took it off.
The structural damage is difficult to asses without taking parts off...

Well whatever, you can most def find a much newer, less mileage taurus on craigslist or autotrader or whatever with the money you got with plenty left over. Hunt, and hunt well. You can find something mint for a good price and talk them down.... don't go to a dealer when you have the cash. Don't buy the first thing you come across. HUNT!!!

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Be glad it was a slow impact. This is what an expedition does at 60+.....

Vehicle occupant walked away, and the car could have been driven away if the inertia switch was reset and some bumper material was removed from the wheel well.

All but the rear driver side door still opened (with some force)

·
Registered
305 Posts
My 88 Bull got totaled by a guy in a Ranger with a camper on it. I was stopped for the usual morning commute traffic. He was picking his nose or something equally important and didn't notice we were all stopped. (This was long before texting and cell phones were an issue.)

I swerved left into the road divider to avoid the car in front of me, so the whole left side of the car got wiped out as well as the rear end. I had just made the last payment on the car. When the cops got there, I was ready to slug the other driver but they wouldn't let me.

Cops said if I'd been in a smaller car I'd be on my way to the ER. That sold me on the safety of the Bull.

Glad no on was hurt and your insurance settlement is decent.

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey everyone,

Thanks for all the posts about me being ok. Some funny posts there too, made me laugh. I do think his foot had to hit the gas somewhat, even though he denied it. He was a young kid, probably scared to admit too much. I am glad we were sitting still and he didn't hit me at 30 mph or something.

Well, I went shopping last week and ended up getting that 2007 SEL I had my eye on. It's the tungsten gray color and it drives beautifully. I will get some pictures up in the garage soon. It has 61K miles and I got it for $7800. That might seem like a lot to some of you but I did shop around and it was the cheapest one (and nicest exterior/interior) out there. About three others were going for $9,000 and up and they all had more miles. There was only one available in Wyoming and they wanted $9,000 for it with 70K miles. I ended up going to Colorado. I really wanted an SEL and I don't know about you guys but those models are few and far between around here. It was a dealer (but they did do the 60K service so that saves me some money). The same guy who bought it at this dealer after it's first year as a rental traded it for something bigger. :unsure: He had it for 2-1/2 years.

All in all, I got a newer car by 4 years, 20K less miles, and more options. I'm very happy, to say the least.

Anyway, thanks again for all the posts!! :D

Oops, forgot to mention, the dealer was asking $8985 for this car.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Glad everything worked out! :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts