Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been reading on the site here about torque straps...wondering what they are, how hard they are to put in..what they do for the car...any negative side effects?

Any info would be great. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
A torque strap is essentially a connection between the engine and the frame that prevents or lessens the movement of the engine caused by the torque transmitted by the crankshaft. Have you ever watched the engine rock back and forth in its cradle? That is caused by torque.

Pros: engine mounts last longer as they do not suffer as much, more power is delivered to the transmission.

Cons: My torque strap makes a faint click when the motor pulls against it, more vibration is transmitted to the cab.

I made my torque strap from 3' of chain, a large eye bolt, and a smaller bolt. Cost about $6 from Home Depot.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Would the extra torque delivered to the tranny cause any harm to the tranny itself? I mean, wouldn't that wear it out more quickly?

Again, the info is and would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Originally posted by sameboy@Jun 30 2004, 07:39 PM
can u some how post a pic of it installed ?
There are several write ups and threads about this already, use the search feature. I plan on posting a detailed writeup with plenty of pictures for the duratec engine tomorrow night if you can wait.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts