Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read every thread on the torque straps and I'm still confused. I have a Gen II 3.8 and I am not clear on a few things. What size chain and bolts do I need? Can someone offer some more descriptive pictures on where to place it, from a wider angle shot, locating the spot I need to look for the hole? I saw some descriptions that use turnbuckles, is this preferred over just bolts and nuts? One one of the pictures, it looks like after it is looped around the exhaust manifold, it then is bolted somewhere else, and I can't tell from the description where that is?

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
Not sure about genII, but on my genIII there were already holes in the subframe. I used 3/8" bolts; a carriage bolt that was about 5" or 6" long, and a hex-head bolt that was abouit 2" or 3" long. I used the long one to bolt the chain down to the subframe, and the short one to secure the loop around the exhaust manifold. Make sure you use about 3 or four washers when you bolt one end of the chain to the subframe, I learned the hard way that the engine movement will bend a single washer quite easily. Sorry, no pics.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
As far as the chain size, if you are using 3/8" dia bolts then you need a chain big enough to slip the bolt through it. A turn buckle is a bad idea if there is no slack. You want to have a small amount of slack so the engine is not under tension while resting.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Paul, Since I have talked to you on the phone. I have come up with my own version of the torque trap useing the hole in the subframe that you told me about. But I did pretension mine down a 1/8" by measureing from the oil pan to the ground. The only bad effect it has is you will notice the engine running more. I did take pictures of the whole thing so I could do a write up and present it to V8sho.com web site. And also shoforum. Maybe here also, but I don't know how close it would resemble the Duratec manifold and the Vulcan manifold. And also if the same hole is in the subframe on the Gen III Bulls.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
I was looking at a Dury subframe this week at ROTB. The Dury has the manifold offset with the down pipe coming off of #6 in front. It appears to do it so that the chain is pulling straight down you would have to drill a hole through the subframe directly under the manifold/downpipe junction.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Man I wish I could have made the ROTB. I would have liked to been in the SHOw and shine. And on the track. Let alone meet you. And others I already know.

Anyways back on track. To let you know, I used the the one bolt hole that holds the manifold heat shield on close to the down pipe. I got a longer bolt to make up for the chain and to use all the threads in the hole.

P.S. I will get that VAK timer, sometime.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Actually, can someone give me something resembling a step-by-step to put torque straps on a g2 3.0L?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Not that I am aware of. :(

·
Registered
39 Posts
:ttiwwop:
If someone has detailed pics that would help.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I have pics to do a write up on one for a V8 SHO. But I know it will be different for what you want. There has got to be different versions to cover the different gens with the different engines. What do you have?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have a Gen II 3.8

·
Registered
308 Posts
I just went out and looked at my Gen II SHO and still don't have a clue right now for your Gen II 3.8
My granpa has a Gen II wagon with the 3.8 Maybe I can find the time sometime to come up with a idea.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts