Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know theres been lots of posts about torque straps of late but i never heard about any negatives effects from torque straps
I heard they can overstrain/overstress the engine casting
Is that true???
:05:

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
Originally posted by SableTuner@Sep 18 2004, 01:08 PM
I know theres been lots of posts about torque straps of late but i never heard about any negatives effects from torque straps
I heard they can overstrain/overstress the engine casting
Is that true???
:05:
well, i don't know about overstressing the engine because of a chain, but i think one of the downsides with your own custom torque strap is that eventually the chain will stretch and become useless other than for making noise :)

·
Premium Member
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by j0rd4n@Sep 18 2004, 03:58 PM
well, i don't know about overstressing the engine because of a chain, but i think one of the downsides with your own custom torque strap is that eventually the chain will stretch and become useless other than for making noise :)
want i wanna know really is that if you put in a torque strap, does it put stress on anything else than just the chain??

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
Originally posted by Rubix@Sep 18 2004, 09:20 PM
ive heard there's risk of bending the frame or subframe because there's no flexibility for the engine (or something), though im not sure if this is true... someone help me out?
theoretically, you might be right, but i think that it'd take a LOT of force to bend the subframe like that

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Unless you are putting down 300HP+ to the ground, a properly-mounted torque strap won't do any damage to the subframe or exhaust manifold. And if you ARE putting down that much power, you'll need one anyway to keep your engine from crashing into the radiator and/or firewall. :p

I had some doubts about the mounting points (particularly the exhaust manifold) but it seems that many people have put a lot of miles on their torque strap setups with no ill effects. It's just a matter of time before I'm up under the engine and decide to strap the Yamahammer down. Quite frankly, I'm surprised the factory mounts have lived up to 20K miles of tire-chirping, whiplash-inducing 7200rpm shifts.

Once you throw your first set of motor mounts, you'll be more inclined to use a torque strap. :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
actually, the thing i'm concerned with is what the exhaust manifold is bolted to. The cylinder head. it looks like any power the engine is producing is being held down by the head, but as much as this worries me, I still put on a torque strap and haven't had any problems.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts