Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i made a torque strap and all, but the chain tugs on the nut, and its stripping the bolt. what bolt and nut combos do yall use? and can i see sum pics of yalls set up? i have a 95 vulcan.

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
A Vulcan? All ya need is some fishing line or perhaps a speaker wire.

j/k lol

how is your setup though? Bolting it down usually won't work too well, use S-hooks to connect the chain around to itself.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i have the chain wrapped around the manifold nad hanging down to the subframe, its bolted down through a hole in the subfram, it holds...sorta. any sugestions? ill have pics up tomarrow, too dark and cold and windy....[oklahoma
] to take a pic.

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
I didn't even know guys were putting torque straps on vulcans. I didn't think the chain had enough room in the manifold because of where the spark plugs are. Anyway, I have mine looped through the exhaust manifod, down around the subframe, then back up toward the manifold shackled to itself to make a complete loop. Make sure there's no slack in the chain either.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I use a torq strap. have been for some time. I noticed a difference. have also had same front motor mount for almost 2 1/2 years.........Thats a while.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Originally posted by Twilight@Dec 16 2003, 11:19 PM
A Vulcan? All ya need is some fishing line or perhaps a speaker wire.

j/k lol

how is your setup though? Bolting it down usually won't work too well, use S-hooks to connect the chain around to itself.
I don't understand. Are you implying that the vulcan is weak ??
I sure hope not.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Here's a pic. I used 3/8" bolts and be sure they are very tight. Also be sure the chain is tight around the exhaust manifold. You don't want any slack up there. No stripping in 2 years.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
Originally posted by Alex_Perry@Dec 17 2003, 12:45 AM
Why not get stronger motor mounts? I've never looked for them, so I don't know if there are even any made for the vulcan. There needs to be some movement.
Um, a chain costs maybe $5. Stronger motor mounts will cost a lot more, and that's if they're even made. Point goes to the chain. 1-0

A chain is easy to install. I have no idea how to even change motor mounts, but probably a mechanics job. Another point to the chain. 2-0

Basically, we want to do things as quick, easy, and inexpensive as possible.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Now i am by no means ripping on the chain torque strap here becuase I think it is a worthwhile mod to do. It is cheaper than than filled motor mounts, but I would definatley rather have the mounts and pay the extra $100 or so. A mount is not going to rust shut on you, rub up and down your manifolds, take a chance on hitting an o2 sensor, strip so that you can't remove it when you go to sell the car, or look as _cobbled_. You can get strong motor mounts that will really limit the motion of the vulcan for a decent price IIRC @ www.rockauto.com (TCCA members get a 5% discount as well). Motor mounts are very easy to install with a few tools, a jack, and a jackstand. To each their own.

P.S. - I would like to reiterate once more that I am by no means bashing chaining down your engine. Old school hotrodders have been doing this for a very long time and it's cheap, quick, and works. I personally like the more elegant and factoryish style and this is my personal opinion.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
A mount is not going to rust shut on you, rub up and down your manifolds, take a chance on hitting an o2 sensor, strip so that you can't remove it when you go to sell the car, or look as _cobbled_.[/b]
Properly applied a chain will do none of that.

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
Originally posted by SHOZ123@Dec 19 2003, 02:51 AM
Properly applied a chain will do none of that.
Yeah, and properly applied, a shear fan will not find it's way into a non-pressurized turbo system.

Paul, this IS the TCCA we're talking about. The home of the ghetto mod.

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
I've had a lot of free time lately because of christmas break, so I thought I'd take a second look at my chain set-up. I picked up a couple 5/16's nuts, bolts and a washer from the hardware store and got crackin.

Man, I thought my chain was snug before, but now it's friggin TIGHT. I used a 2" 5/16's bolt and nut to attach the chain to itself in a small loop around the exhaust manifold. Then I used about a 5" 5/16's bolt, washer, and nut to bolt the last link of the chain to the frame through a hole that goes all the way through the sub frame. I used a wrench to tighten it down and there is NO slack at all. Plus, I'm using about half as much chain as before when I had the loop set-up.

So, if you're serious about a torque strap, do it this way. It's a lot tighter than just looping it.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
I would leave just a bit of slack in the bottom. I have about a 1/4". You want to have a little bit of play in the chain. You were correct in getting it tight around the exhaust manifold though. Here you do not want any slack.

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
I don't have any slack at all on my torque strap. It vibrates the car a little, but that's okay by me. Plus, I ran mine through the hoist loop on the transmission, not the exhast manifold.

·
Premium Member
1,322 Posts
SHOZ123 is that a picture shot straight down from under the hood? Did you go around the bolts on the manifold? ( do you have a picture that is about 3" farther up) So I can see where it loops around and what it comes in contact with. Thanks

·
Registered
81 Posts
Originally posted by Kermit@Jan 2 2004, 11:18 PM
SHOZ123 is that a picture shot straight down from under the hood? Did you go around the bolts on the manifold? ( do you have a picture that is about 3" farther up) So I can see where it loops around and what it comes in contact with. Thanks
I myself would like to see a pic.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts